Oscar’s mission is to fix a broken health care system. We use technology, design, and data to retool an antiquated industry toward making health care easy, reliable, and connected for the people who actually use it.
Oscar’s Communications team is responsible for telling stories about the company and its members, products, and trajectory in a way that reaches and resonates with our target audiences in the media and public. Given the sheer surface area of what Oscar is changing on a daily basis -- everything from the traditional provider-payer relationship to how patients engage with a confusing health system -- the challenge for the Communications team is to architect a clear narrative that cuts across technology, health care, politics, member experience, and so much more.
As the first and only technology-driven, people-centered health insurer in the country, Oscar occupies a unique role as an innovator and consumer advocate with the potential to redefine the country’s health care landscape. The Senior Associate, Corporate Communications, based in New York, will join a nimble team of experienced communications professionals from technology, politics, and business charged with protecting this brand.
You will report to the Director of Corporate Communications & Policy to assist in developing and executing a proactive corporate communications strategy for Oscar. You will help clarify Oscar’s industry positioning, sustain a narrative about where Oscar is leading the industry, and find ways to tell stories from the abundance of Oscar’s proof points across the health care supply chain. The successful candidate will be strategic, entrepreneurial, and humble, with an ability to juggle multiple, simultaneous campaigns across verticals.
- Help develop strategy around corporate communications, with tactics that amplify the depth of our business, the volume of innovation in health care, and the talent of our people
- Assist in media relations with financial, health care, regulatory/legal, and privacy press
- Conceptualize and pitch creative story angles to reporters and editors that execute on corporate communications tactics
- Help develop and maintain messaging databases that help stakeholders understand how to best communicate our story
- Develop trusted relationships with internal stakeholders across all teams and be a Communications Ambassador within Oscar
- Write press releases, FAQs, blog posts, and other communications assets
- Do what needs to get done, including building press lists, leading communications audits, and proofing materials
- Care about details, work hard, and be humble
- You have 3 - 5 years of experience with corporate and health care or financial communications at a company or agency
- You have strong relationships with national business, financial and technology reporters and editors
- You have some knowledge of how capital markets and the investor community operate and interpret news
- You have an excellent grasp of how media is changing and how to evolve communications strategies to adapt to the new environment
- You can learn to love health care and policy -- this is a complex, wonky industry, so you’ll need to love learning the details
- You can write fast and in a compelling, concise style
- You have a knack for identifying patterns and trends, and using those insights to proactively recommend ideas and narratives
- You can train and coach internal Oscar stakeholders to be advocates for the brand in the media
Oscar is an equal opportunity employer. Should you be a fit for this role, one of our recruiters will contact you from a hioscar.com e-mail address. Oscar recruiters do not request your sensitive personal information by email.