Flatiron Health’s mission is to serve cancer patients and our customers by dramatically improving treatment and accelerating research. Our team is building a disruptive, oncology-specific software platform that connects cancer centers across the world on a common technology infrastructure to address key healthcare challenges.
This position primarily focuses on products and services for OncoEMR, our web-based, oncology-specific electronic medical record (EMR) system used by over 1,300 oncology clinicians every day to diagnose, treat and manage patients battling cancer.
The Database Platform Engineer will play a critical role in developing and operating our Oncology EMR and our oncology data platform. OncoEMR is the lifeblood of any Oncology clinic or function at a hospital, used by physicians, nurses and office staff to provide patient care. This is a real-time web system with integrations to other healthcare systems (Labs, Practice Management, etc...) and is sensitive to both correctness and performance. As we expand to support larger and more complex, high-volume clients we will need a DBA to scale out our infrastructure.
- Manage multiple Microsoft SQL environments and database instances; this includes system resource monitoring, backup activities, tuning and disaster recovery planning
- Serve as a technical resource for project managers, programmers, and analysts
- Use knowledge and experience of industry best practices to refine operational procedures and processes to ensure reliability, efficiency, and quality
- Contribute to the development of database systems, participate in design reviews, and work with teams of developers to troubleshoot and redesign applications as necessary
- Collaborate with network, hardware, development and system operations teams to resolve problems with database system
- Ensure overall security and proper authorization required to access company databases in accordance with compliance policies to adhere to Flatiron, HIPAA and general policies
- Ensure database product maintenance patches and upgrades are conducted appropriately on a regular basis to provide a stable and supportable technology platform
- Ensure appropriate documentation is developed and maintained relative to our database environment
- Technically mentor and guide a small team
- 5+ years of hands-on database administration experience
- 5+ years of experience with performance monitoring, database tuning, and capacity planning
- Experience with SQL Server (2008R2,2012,2014,2016) on Windows Server environments
- High Availability & Disaster Recovery design experience with technologies as AlwaysOn
- Demonstrated ability to provide in-depth consulting services in the identification and resolution of database issues
- Demonstrated experience in the planning, design, and usage of database resources and providing support to development teams
- Demonstrated experience in gathering and providing database statistics on application performance and organic growth
- Demonstrated experience with transactional replication, mirroring and related data backup and recovery technologies
- Demonstrated experience in supporting applications in private or public cloud environments
- Proven ability to work individually or as part of a team to solve technical problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with other DB technologies (open-source, NoSQL)