Flatiron Health’s mission is to serve cancer patients and our customers by dramatically improving treatment and accelerating research. Our team is building a disruptive, oncology-specific software platform that connects cancer centers across the world on a common technology infrastructure to address key healthcare challenges.
The Finance team is responsible for remitting and recording our semi-monthly payroll in compliance with IRS, DOL, federal, state, and municipal regulations with a focus on clarity and accuracy. We support an increasingly complex and rapidly growing workforce, requiring us to build new processes and improve upon existing ones in order to scale with the growth of the company while maintaining controls and multi-jurisdictional compliance.
As the Payroll Manager, you will be Flatiron’s subject matter expert in all regulatory, compliance and logistical concerns pertaining to payroll, payroll taxes, and deductions. The Payroll Manager will also own the communications and business processes required by each team and subgroup (ie: hourly and/or nonexempt classes of employees) according to Flatiron’s evolving needs.
The Payroll Manager will work with the Payroll Associate and People Operations team to standardize our payroll processes with the transition to the Ultimate Payroll Software and document such processes in detailed playbooks.
- Complete the semimonthly and monthly planning, project management, and communications necessary to stay ahead of employee payroll (semi-monthly)
- Process, validate, document, standardize, and automate the semi-monthly payroll in collaboration with Payroll Associate
- Responsible for developing and maintaining all documentation around payroll process (i.e. Ultipro payroll playbook)
- In depth knowledge of benefit deductions to provide insights on payroll ramifications of changes to current policy. You will also be responsible for the semi-monthly funding of 401K, HSA and FSA deductions
- Process, monitor, and resolve all agency notices for all jurisdiction; Document each notice through resolution
- Manage registrations for each state (and, where applicable, local) jurisdiction in which Flatiron pays employees and withholds taxes
- Filling all DOL compliance requirements including EEO-1, ACA compliance, etc
- Plan administrator for our 401K plan
- Design and implement a standardized filing, payment, and documentation process for statutory withholdings, Workers’ Comp, and SUI/SUTA
- Design and implement a quarterly review process for risk, controls, and best practices per industry standards across payroll functions
- Become subject matter expert and owner of all reporting (including but not limited to compensation metrics, demographic info, custom fields per team needs) in the Ultipro system
- Recommend and drive process improvement and documentation
- Assist with ad hoc payroll-related Finance and People Ops projects, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree from a top-tiered university; Finance, HR, or Business Administration degree preferred
- 7-10 years of experience processing payroll; start-up experience preferred
- Experience working with Ultimate Payroll Software
- Expert knowledge of wage and hour laws
- Expert analytical and problem solving skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (Pivot tables, vlookups, index matches); Familiarity with Google Docs and Sheets, Gmail, Google Calendar
- Proven ability to manage and delegate high volumes of transactions accurately and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to scale processes as Flatiron’s population and payroll complexity increase over time
- Superior organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to a fast-paced environment
- Passionate about healthcare and the fight against cancer
- HRIS and/or Payroll system implementation experience
- Startup experience; Ability to thrive in unstructured environment
- Experience managing a team
- General ledger / payroll journal entry experience
- Knowledge of document sharing best practices, including Google Drive and Dropbox security settings.