What is the Position?
At Oscar, we are working hard to provide the kind of health insurance we would want for ourselves: high quality healthcare at an affordable cost. We’re using a consumer-focused, tech-driven, data-infused approach to do so. This positions us uniquely in the space - and creates one of the biggest opportunities in healthcare.
The Risk Associate will contribute operational, analytical, and project management skills to the expanding Risk team, supporting the team’s two primary goals: 1) Understanding contributions to Oscar’s health care costs, 2) Deploying end-to-end risk based programs and tools across all parts of the company. In this role, you will be working mainly within the data/analytics team but also across departments including: claims operations, finance, network contracting.
As a member of the risk team, you will primarily:
- Be(come) an expert on healthcare - and apply that expertise to make the entire system better
- Run and Project Manage analytical projects to provide insight into all corners of our business, from clinical operations to customer service and marketing
- Collaborate with other business teams, data scientists, and engineers to develop analytically sound, operationally tight risk management programs that help deliver high quality, low cost, medically appropriate health care services
Deliverables: What you have to achieve
By the end of your first 6 weeks, you have...
- Built an understanding of the core insurance business model, including the basics of how we build provider networks, design our health plans, connect members to physicians and process claims.
- Become familiar with the relevant portions of Oscar’s data/analytics architecture and able to independently run one-time analyses to support operational functions.
- Developed an informed view on current strengths, weaknesses, and gaps in Oscar’s analytical and risk framework and contribute to prioritization of future initiatives.
In 6 months (and afterwards on an ongoing basis), you will take on some of the following responsibilities (depending on your skills and inclination)...
- Project manage large cross-departmental projects that are have meaningful impact on company performance
- Systematically surface and address areas for improvement in how we build networks and manage member care
- Operate individual components of our network and claims process to ensure quality, efficient care delivery for our member.
- Complete complex analytical projects potential areas of improvement across the companyBecome acquainted with all of the relevant Oscar data feeds, vendors, and portions of the technology stack.
Winning factors: What leads to success
Must-have qualifications and expertise include:
Outstanding critical thinking
- Strong project management abilities and the drive to produce tangible results
- A passion for understanding complex issues with a data driven approach
- A technical bent and the ability to use or to learn to use technology tools to answer your own questions (e.g. Excel/SQL/Python)
The following will be helpful, but are not essential…
- A proven track record in either performing data driven analytical work or project managing complex initiatives.
- Knowledge of health insurance operations or healthcare economics.
- An engineering mindset - you know how to think systematically and structurally about problems, never ad hoc.
Oscar is an equal opportunity employer. Should you be a fit for this role, one of our recruiters will contact you from a hioscar.com e-mail address. Oscar recruiters do not request your sensitive personal information by email.