Hi, we’re Oscar. We’re a fully licensed health insurer. Our goal is to make healthcare simple, transparent, and human. In Engineering, we do that by building reliable and maintainable applications, infrastructure, and interfaces that make interacting with the health care system easier for everyone -- members, providers, and (yes!) ourselves.
As an Oscar Engineer, you’ll be joining a tight knit, passionate team of builders. We take pride in our ability to move quickly (deploys > 100/day), our small teams (engineers <= 5), and our willingness to tackle big problems (frequency === everyday).
Healthcare is broken, come help us fix it! We need people who can assemble the fragmented pieces and reduce the complexity. Come help us solve hard problems and build a health insurance company from scratch.
What You’ll Do:
The SWAT team is a rapid prototyping team specializing in pragmatic engineering and process solutions to mission critical projects across the company. You will:
- Interact with almost all of Oscar’s business lines and operations teams
- Become the owner and expert of data unique to healthcare
- Prototype/build things fast and agile (sometimes ruffling feathers in the process)
- Work side-by-side with our core engineering teams to mature these quick-hit, pragmatic solutions into hardened engineering-owned systems
- Solve core business problems with short project cycles
- You know how to solve problems in a fast-paced and scrappy environment
- You like being close to your users and having an ear to the ground
- You have outstanding problem-solving skills
- You understand that being fast and pragmatic does not equate to being a hacker
- Proficient in Python & SQL
- Comfortable working with complex and unstructured data with ambiguous requirements
- Understanding of modern data engineering infrastructure (e.g. Mesos and Kafka) and distributed data pipelines
- Ability to derive insights from dataset and use of analytical tools (e.g. python numerical libs, R)