Abstraction Clinical Quality Manager (RN, PA or CTR)
Flatiron’s mission is to organize the world’s oncology information and make it useful for patients, physicians, life sciences and researchers. We are building a disruptive software platform dedicated to oncology that connects cancer centers across the country on a common infrastructure. Our platform aggregates and transforms real-world data at a scale and clinical depth never seen before.
The process is carried out by Abstractors - nurses and tumor registrars who extract complex clinical insights from electronic medical records (EMRs). The Abstraction Clinical Quality Manager will support efforts towards assuring and improving the quality of abstracted data from initiation of project through the module’s lifespan. The Clinical Quality Manager will collaboratively work with Clinical Data Specialists, Abstraction Team Leads and other members of the Internal Abstraction team and will report to the Lead Clinical Quality Manager.
- Manages the quality management process for multiple established abstraction modules within 4 to 5 disease types.Oversees the abstractor performance evaluation process across several therapeutic areas, including module maintenance.
- Leads the module audit adjudication process for select projects and diseases. Synthesizes findings, identifies root cause for issues, and implements mitigation activities in collaboration with other internal stakeholders.
- Escalates in a timely manner quality issues that pose a risk to abstracted data and the integrity of the project, Responds in a timely manner to minimize impact.
- Investigates potential quality signals and develops a plan to mitigate issues before they happen.
- Effectively uses a variety of quality assurance methods to tackle an issue and demonstrates innovation in problem solving.
- Support efforts to ensure remote abstractors adhere to abstraction-specific policies and procedures and consistently produce accurate data.
- Designs, develops and/or delivers training in collaboration with the Clinical Data team to address identified needs or gaps in performance or knowledge at module inception or throughout lifecycle.
- Provides clinical insights during launch of new disease modules to ensure that policies and procedures and training materials are clinically accurate and relevant.
- Development of testing modules utilizing varied approaches (written, oral, presentation, case studies etc) to asses abstractor competence and ensure high quality data collection
- Teaches classes as needed utilizing principles of adult learning and critical thinking. Assists others with class preparation.
- Be comfortable with incorporating new technology and automation quickly in response to changing requirements and team scaling.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in clinical education, training or adult learning
- Oncology clinical content expertise spanning multiple tumor types
- Certified Tumor Registrar, or oncology nurse with 5+ years’ experience in an oncology setting.
- Active RN or PA license or CTR certification, if applicable.
- Prior Quality Assurance experience in an oncology setting preferred
- Experience applying, maintaining and updating internal quality assurance guidelines.
- Flexible team player who can integrate process changes in response to a fast-paced,fluid environment.
- Prior experience working in a technology-focused company and identifying issues and trends from large data sets.
- Comfortable working with remote teams.
- Advanced Excel skills.
Bonus points if you....
- Have experience working as an abstractor for Flatiron Health
- Have experience reviewing and extracting key data points of interest from oncology medical records
- Have a degree in education
- Are familiar with SQL