Acquisitions Editor: Community Content
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about finding high quality writers who want to share their knowledge with our community.
The Community Developer Education team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by contributing approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of DevOps, open source, and modern application development topics. All members of the Developer Education team are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching and helping developers, and a passion for creating the most useful learning materials possible.
We are looking to bring on an experienced Acquisitions Editor to help us grow our community tutorial content. Reporting to the Editorial Manager, the Acquisitions Editor will leverage their previous experience sourcing talented technical writers and subject-matter experts in software development, DevOps, or open-source technologies to help us find high quality content that aligns with our content strategy. The person in this role will have the opportunity and resources to shape, drive, and evolve our team’s content acquisition strategy, so we can continue to help developers around the world solve their most challenging problems.
If you feel that you have the background and knowledge for this Acquisitions Editor position, we’d love to talk to you and see where there’s a fit!
What You'll Be Doing:
- Researching and recruiting industry experts to expand our author talent pool.
- Working with prospective authors to shape topics and outlines that align with our content strategy.
- Educating prospective authors on the content publication process and guiding them through sample and topic review.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with subject-matter experts in multiple fields.
- Using social media tools and marketing campaigns in recruiting efforts.
- Participating in the sample and topic approval process.
- Working collaboratively across the DigitalOcean marketing team to produce learning resources on a variety of topics related to open source and distributed infrastructure.
- Participating in Community initiatives (product launch prep work, strategic tasks, etc.)
- Assisting other teams with building out learning resources through content acquisition.
- Identifying and / or attending conferences and meetups to connect with the developer community and source talent.
What We'll Expect From You:
- Previous experience with content acquisition related to DevOps, open-source software, or software development. Previous experience in technical book or article publishing is a plus.
- Experience working with software developers, system administrators, DevOps professionals, or other technical professionals. An existing network of subject matter experts is a plus.
- Understanding of DevOps Engineering and / or Software Development. Familiarity with writing code or using Linux is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Experience working closely with marketing teams (and other departments) is a plus.
- Experience using social media to establish meaningful connections with people.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard, but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here, and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!