Assistant, City Editor
Responsible for assigning stories to reporters. Edits stories for the website and print editions. Monitors wires, social media and the competition for breaking and developing stories.
- Assigns stories to general assignment reporters and helps beat reporters (courts, transit, crime, politics, education) to develop story ideas.
- Edits copy for the website, several times a day as news dictates.
- Edits copy for print deadlines.
- Helps to maintain the daily schedule of stories, using slack.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Requires a minimum of five years of experience reporting and/or editing at a news website or newspaper.
- Must be able to post stories directly to the web