Associate Producer, Audio at theSkimm
theSkimm’s Audio Production team is a creative, collaborative group of producers from both traditional and new media backgrounds. They maintain the highest standards for journalism and integrity in storytelling, while producing distinct content for theSkimm’s unique voice and brand.
As we grow, we’re looking for a news junkie and experienced Writer and Producer to work with theSkimm's small and mighty podcast team. Reporting to theSkimm’s Senior Audio Producer, you’ll be responsible for pitching stories, fact-checking, sourcing and cutting audio, writing concise and ready-to-read scripts for theSkimm’s daily news podcast as well as weekly audio deep dives. If you are a multi-talented self-starter with a sense of humor and lots of ideas who loves understanding the nitty-gritty of national and international news, this job is for you.WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Collaborate with the team pitching daily news stories, researching, fact-checking, and script writing in theSkimm’s brand voice
- Work closely with the Senior Audio Producer each day to see segments through from pitch to final mix
- Pitch, research, write and edit long form deep-dive pieces
- 3+ yrs experience in audio storytelling, preferably in a news or news-adjacent setting
- Experience learning and writing in a specific brand voice
- Experience fact-checking audio scripts both before and after recordings
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic and ethical judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Proficiency in cutting and mixing tape for audio publications
- Experience editing and mastering entire podcasts for distribution a plus
- Experience field recording and on-air a plus
- Collaborative and creative spirit an absolute must
- Ability to contribute innovative ideas and find unique solutions; willingness to try new things even if they don't come to fruition
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.