Associate Technical Writer at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are inspired to make technology accessible to everyone by teaching others about cloud infrastructure and software development.
The Community Developer Education team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by creating approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of cloud computing, open source, and DevOps and topics. All members of the Developer Education team are united by an interest in helping developers, learning deeply about technology, and creating the most useful educational materials possible. We are growing and are looking to bring in new teammates eager to help us expand and improve our library of technical tutorials to maximize their value to our community.
The Associate Technical Writer will play an integral role in our team's ongoing maintenance strategy by validating and updating older tutorials to add important details, replace outdated technical instructions, improve explanations, and bring them into alignment with our current style guide. Additionally, the ATW will contribute original tutorials to the Community tutorial library, review and edit original tutorials from other team members as part of our peer review process, and support other team initiatives as they align with broader company priorities.
Ideal candidates will have experience with writing, editing, or content management in a professional setting. Although professional technical experience is not a strict requirement for this role, due to our tutorials' technical subject matter we strongly encourage folks with a background in cloud computing, programming, Linux, and/or open-source technologies to apply.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Support the maintenance of the current resource library: validate and update existing tutorials, add detail or explanation where necessary to improve current articles, identify content gaps, and align older articles with current style guide
- Adapt version-specific content for new operating system releases
- Research technical topics to gain a working knowledge of new subjects and understand best practices
- Collaborate with other teams in the Marketing department as well as the broader company to leverage and promote our tutorial content and better understand our audience's needs
- Share thoughtful edits and feedback to teammates as part of our established peer review process
- Participate in team-wide initiatives to support organizational goals
- A strong command of the English language and an ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, accessible prose
- Experience with cloud computing, app deployment, software development, Linux, or open-source technologies preferred, though not required
- Ability to change and adapt one's writing voice depending on the context and purpose of the content at at hand
- Demonstrated ability to research and understand new and unfamiliar subjects
- Desire to teach and communicate effectively with others
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!