ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm makes it easier to live a smarter life. We started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er... employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it's time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we're drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm'r at a time. Come join us, we're changing things.
theSkimm is looking for an experienced audio engineer who can develop a rich and textured sound design that will correspond with the tone, mission and voice of theSkimm newsletter. You know how to locate sound, and compose or license musical content for themes, bumpers, teasers, jingles, and promos. You have advanced sound editing experience, quickly and expertly cutting two-way conversations and interviews, as well as mixing more complex multi-track segments with clips, narration and music. You have experience working with talent, both experienced hosts and guests who are audio newbies. You are calm under deadline pressure, a detail-oriented engineer who can confidently deliver a polished final mix for podcast distribution, according to industry standards. You have technical know-how of audio tools ranging from microphones and editing software to portable recorders to plug-ins for EQ, compression, de-noising, etc. and you can support the purchasing and maintenance of equipment and software.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Support in purchasing and maintenance of audio equipment and technology
- Create sound design, either with original compositions or sourced audio content
- Develop staff-wide audio system for producers
- Train incoming producers on basic editing and show sound design
- Provide audio editorial input in daily production
- Support audio acquisition, cut tape, record and edit two-way interviews, mix audio as needed
- Use Audacity or other audio software to record, mix and produce show for podcast distribution
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 5+ yrs audio engineering/sound design experience, preferably in a news- or news-adjacent setting
- Advanced proficiency in cutting and mixing tape for podcast distribution
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Musically or rhythmically inclined, technically savvy
- Experienced communicating with talent
- Collaborative and creative spirit a must
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.