ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm makes it easier to live a smarter life. We started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er... employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it's time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we're drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm'r at a time. Come join us, we're changing things.
TheSkimm is looking for a news junkie, audio producer and booker to plan, write, produce and edit podcasts at theSkimm. You’ll work with a smart team, pitching stories, fact-checking, sourcing and cutting audio, writing concise and ready-to-read news copy, booking guests and prepping interviews. If you are a multi-talented self-starter with a sense of humor, who loves understanding the nitty-gritty of the news and explaining it over drinks to your friends, this job is for you.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Collaborate with the team while pitching stories, booking guests, researching, fact-checking, and script writing in theSkimm’s brand voice -- while also cutting tape and mixing audio
- Create and maintain a planning calendar of upcoming events
- Book and pre-interview guests for upcoming shows
- Source and cut audio elements for segments
- Contribute to writing and structure of specific segments
- Monitor breaking news, update team and segments as needed
- Liaison with social team
- Administrative support for production team as needed
- Use Audacity to cut and assemble podcasts
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 2+ yrs experience in audio storytelling, preferably in a news- or news-adjacent setting
- Experience fact-checking audio scripts both before and after recording
- Experience booking talent
- Experience learning and writing in a specific brand voice
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Proficiency in cutting and mixing tape for audio publications preferred
- Collaborative and creative spirit a must
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.