Content Writer at Stack Overflow
Who we are
Stack Overflow empowers the world to develop technology through collective knowledge. More than 100 million people visit Stack Overflow every month making it one of the 50 most-visited websites in the world.
Stack Overflow’s products include its market-leading knowledge sharing and collaboration platform, Stack Overflow for Teams, in addition to Stack Overflow Reach & Relevance, which is focused on advertising. Organizations such as Bloomberg, Microsoft, Expensify, Zapier, and more partner with Stack Overflow to help them centralize information, increase efficiency, and build faster. Founded in 2008, Stack Overflow is headquartered in New York.
Stack Overflow is looking for a Content Writer on the Marketing & Communications team.
About You: You’re a writer who knows how to connect with developers and with the business decision makers who purchase software for teams of technologists. You’re an adaptive generalist who can produce great pieces on programming languages one day, blockchain the next. You’re eager to learn about cutting edge technical topics and make an impression on a big audience with clever writing and terrific angles.
You’ll produce original content for our blog and newsletter, and occasionally create content for our demand generation programs. Along with generating ideas and writing pieces, you’ll help to source and edit posts from contributors, partners, and clients.
Experience covering a broad range of technology topics is preferred. An ideal candidate will be able to generate topics that connect with the moment and turn pieces around rapidly. You can write for a general audience, but also connect with software developers, and the managers who make purchasing decisions about the software those teams use. You’re excited about building something (and fixing what isn’t working). Above all, you’re about getting results.
What you’ll do
- Partner across the company, and especially with the Product and Community teams, to create compelling ideas for content projects that can engage our community, grow our online audience, and support our lines of business.
- Draw on data from our massive audience and regular surveys to produce insights and reports that will be widely shared and picked up by mainstream media.
- Turn the best questions and answers from our communities into user generated content that highlights what our users are capable of and allows our owned channels to scale.
- Help to research and write in-depth case studies and white papers about the value our tools bring to clients and community. Integrate written analysis with data and graphics to make your message shine.
- Craft articles, ebooks, and white papers on topics that will strike a cord with potential customers for Stack Overflow for Teams, our knowledge management product that is quickly becoming the industry standard.
Who you’ll be working with
- You’ll work with colleagues on the Content Marketing team to generate blog posts, case studies, and thought leadership.
- Interface with the Product Marketing team to ensure that B2B content aligns with our messaging and is targeting the right buyer persona.
- Work with the Demand Gen team to craft pieces which generate awareness and compliment their more direct efforts to build pipeline.
- Partner with the Communications Team on our social media operations, ensuring that we connect with the developers who use our public sites everyday, and the potential customers who have business challenges we can solve, but may not be as familiar with our brand.
What you need to have:
- Minimum of 4-6 years of writing experience, with experience writing about technology and reaching a large audience.
- Familiarity with the online communities where developers and people who hire developers congregate.
- Insight into the most important trends in the world of tech, software, and SaaS space and what motivates potential customers..
- Empathy for, and understanding of, developers (how they think, work, learn, communicate, and find jobs).
- Experience as a journalist and/or in a branded content studio is highly desirable.
- Excellent writer, editor, and trend spotter.
- Experience analyzing big trends in software, technology, and SaaS
- Familiarity with content marketing and product marketing best practices.
- Comfortable analyzing data and pulling out key trends and insights
The Opportunity: Write for one of the world’s 50 biggest websites. Help maximize the growth of a content marketing operating that has seen enormous success across its owned channels in the last 2.5 years. Identify and capture new audiences with smart strategies for expanding our ambitions across blog, newsletter, and podcast. Identify new content channels to explore.
- If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway - we value different perspectives and experience.
We’ll only consider applications with a cover letter - please make sure to include yours and tell us what you’ll bring to the team.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening September 6, 2021, and won't require employees to return to the office for the rest of the year), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote #BI-Remote