Corporate Communications Writing Manager at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
As our brand continues to grow, we are seeking a senior writer to play an important role in the company’s communications efforts. A member of the corporate communication team, this candidate will partner with internal stakeholders to research and write thought leadership pieces, speeches, talking points and executive social media. This candidate should have a strong pulse on the FinTech industry, startup culture and the ability to work collaboratively across different business lines. The ideal candidate will have exemplary writing skills with focus on grammar, punctuation, and style guides in addition to a passion for storytelling. This candidate should also have a strong executive function to help teams solve problems through effective communications.
Responsibilities will include:
- Research and write high-impact thought leadership pieces, speeches, talking points and appropriate collateral on behalf of the company and its executives.
- Proactively seek out, identify and develop compelling, timely content.
- Oversee the complete editorial process helping build and shape thought leadership -- ideation, writing, editing, fact-checking, proofreading.
- Nurture the written voice of a variety of senior stakeholders for both and internal and external audiences reflecting the company’s core business goals.
- Provide counsel on messaging and content development to ensure that communications are clear and aligned with the team's strategic goals.
- Assist the broader communications team with writing needs, including the drafting and editing press releases among other communications. Anticipate needs, respond quickly to requests and draft materials as needed.
- Work with teams to proactively solve problems using communications tools and good common sense.
- Bachelor's degree or comparable military experience
- 4 -8 years of related writing experience, previous work in journalism is a plus
- Gifted storyteller with ability to identify and share compelling, relevant stories that support business objectives
- Superior research, writing and editing skills, accountable for producing accurate, engaging and factually correct content representing various stakeholder voices
- Strong communications and project management skills with proven ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize assignments
- Experience fostering cross functional relationships with an ability to listen, collaborate and influence others to achieve the common goal of elevating brand and leadership voice and reputation
- Excitement about joining a fast-growing startup
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.