DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $900 million for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose. one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our culture is informal, fast-paced, and fun. See more at www.donorschoose.org/jobs
As part of the Marketing & Partnerships team, the Brand & Communications team drives awareness and engagement among donors, partners, teachers, and the public to generate donations, inspire new classroom projects, and elevate the brand. The person in this role will create content across all of our digital channels to help us raise awareness for our mission and achieve our fundraising goals. This role reports to the Vice President of Brand & Communications.
This position might be for you if:
- You’re a strong writer, a grammar nerd, and you have a favorite editorial style guide. You maintain a healthy and robust diet of different writing styles and content sources.
- You love engaging with people through social media, and you understand the benefits and strengths of each channel, customizing your approach for each.
- You love to write and create compelling content. You write with purpose, and can address how our platform can help our donors, teachers, and partners achieve their goals.
- You guide your creativity with thoughtful analysis. You enjoy unearthing why a piece of content appeals to our audience, and how we can apply that approach elsewhere.
- You care deeply about making education more equitable for students across the country. You get fired up thinking about teachers not having what they need to teach.
- You’re looking to work in a startup-style nonprofit with an entrepreneurial, goals-driven culture. You thrive on clear deadlines and you’re flexible with quick turnarounds.
- You love to partner with colleagues to understand the story they seek to tell, and help them tell it.
- You’re quick to surprise and delight a social media detractor, and turn them into an advocate.
- You strive for both perfection and efficiency, crave feedback, and love uncovering new ways to repurpose great work.
- You’re concise.
- You have 1-3 years of experience in social media management, digital content creation, or a related field.
- Basic video editing skills and/or experience with Adobe Premier a plus.
- Manage our blog and social media channels, creating content that reinforces our brand, engages our donors and teachers, and creates a positive experience for our stakeholders
- Produce live content for Facebook and Instagram
- Hone and perfect our brand voice across each of our channels, ensuring our content communicates our commitment to economic and racial equity
- Collaborate with our marketing team colleagues who lead our paid social strategy
- Generate content for our blog in collaboration with our colleagues, utilizing SEO best practices
- Measure and analyze the performance of our digital content to refine our strategy, test new hypotheses, and improve efficiency
- Monitor trends in teacher and donor messages, and collaborate with teams across the org to improve the stakeholder experience
- Collaborate with fellow Brand & Communications team members and the Marketing and Community team for major fundraising campaigns
- Contribute to team brainstorms for new fundraising and engagement campaigns, donor/teacher acquisition, social support for major media hits, etc.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 10 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose.org, visit our careers page.
Please address your application to Christopher Pearsall, Vice President of Brand & Communications. Submit a cover letter, resume, and links to three content samples that show your best work across digital channels (including but not limited to blog posts, social media channel posts, and videos you’ve shot and edited).
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.