Digital Technician, Creative
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Job:
Rent the Runway is looking for a Digital Tech with experience in hi-volume e-commerce content production. The Digital Tech will work on set to ensure needs are met, files are managed properly, assets are delivered as specified by the evolving RTR workflow, and all issues are resolved as they arise or as anticipated. The range of duties and responsibilities include managing files on set, troubleshooting issues as they arise, and effectively communicating job-related information to the Photographer and Post-Production Department.
What You’ll Do:
- Support photographer with prepping and breaking down the set for the day.
- This includes: assisting with lighting setups, changing out backdrops, checking that all equipment is functioning properly, calibrating studio monitors, and organization and maintenance of studio supplies and equipment.
- Prepare and set up camera equipment and capture station on set
- Oversee the capture process ensuring that all images are captured properly
- Name, crop, and manage all digital assets (including folder and images) and assign proper sku #’s to images as they are being shot.
- Serve as second eye to the Photographer by regularly checking for focus and ensure color consistency, color balance, exposure, and curves on all images.
- Assist photographer in problem solving issues with the camera, computer, software programs, and lighting power packs/strobes.
- Serve as the liaison between the post-production team and the on-set team for facilitating image edits, missing images; managing on-set exceptions for timely correction and processing urgent files as per request.
- Responsible for managing image organization and archiving for studio.
- Keep up-to-date on the constantly changing digital technology and recommend new technology that could be beneficial to how we operate.
- Meet creative and operational standards, and strive for constant improvement.
- Partner with freelance team members to assure consistency
- Take part in self driven test shoots to develop skill sets
- Ad-hoc special projects as necessary
- You have a bachelor’s degree or 1-3 years of on-set experience as a Photo Assistant and/or Digital Tech, preferably in fashion or related field
- You have the ability to detect and communicate advanced lighting issues
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to perform under pressure
- You have excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- You have a high comfort level working in a diverse environment
- You have excellent computer skills and proficiency in Capture One Pro, Mac OSX, Adobe Photoshop
- You have an advanced understanding of Profoto lighting systems
- You have proficient skills with Canon Camera systems
- You have a website or portfolio of photography is a plus
- You have Google Spreadsheets or Microsoft Excel experience
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!