Director of Audio
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is seeking a Director to lead the strategy and operations of audio and podcasts at theSkimm. In this role, you’ll be responsible for the development and execution of theSkimm’s brand and voice in current and future audio formats across a variety of topic verticals. You’ll partner closely with leadership from the content department and cross-departmentally with teams inclusive of marketing, sales, and product on the development and positioning of your team’s programs. You’ll manage a small group of creative producers and editors, providing guidance and direction, while being ready to roll-up your sleeves to get things done. This role reports to the VP of Content Studios.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Lead strategy and operations for the Skimm’s current audio suite (Skimm This, Skimm'd from The Couch, and audio Notes)
- Lead creative development and production strategy for new audio products
- Work closely with the sales and marketing teams on positioning of current and future audio products
- Manage and develop team of producers and editors providing guidance on best-in-class audio practices, editorial and technical
- Oversee production operation—including budgets, staffing and creative
- Manage editorial partnerships with key distributors
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ years experience in audio storytelling with 3+ years leading production on a successful podcast or radio program
- Expert manager and player/coach, who can inspire a growing team
- Excellent journalistic judgment with previous experience in news programming (podcast, radio, or television)
- Expert technical ability in recording, editing, assembling, mixing for audio publication
- Ability to communicate on an executive level while managing the details of multiple daily productions
- Proven experience executing high-quality product in a fast-paced environment, with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.