Documentation Manager at Smartling
As Manager, Documentation you’re responsible for all customer-facing documentation, including product guides for platform users and technical references for developers. This position works closely with other Smartling teams like Product, Engineering, and Customer Success to ensure users are well educated about our platform’s capabilities and their value proposition in real-world applications.
At Smartling not one day is the same but if you must know, on a typical day you will be participating in Product and Technology team stand-ups, speaking with team members and users to understand where customers need help. You will be providing input to the Product team based on feedback from users and creating and updating documentation—we ship code every day!
Tasks at Hand
- Creating content that users can follow to understand and complete common tasks in the platform.
- Maintaining developer documentation, such as API references, data processing directions, and coding standards.
- Identifying product best practices and creating documentation that helps customers to make optimal decision to achieve their requirements.
- Producing training, learning, and in-product communications that help customers to understand how the product is changing.
- Analyzing documentation usage, support data, and user feedback to continuously improve documentation and inform documentation roadmap.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Aptitude for organizing information and clearly describing complex business workflow, data management, and Internet networking concepts.
- Special interest in web technologies, RESTful API services, and coding -- and teaching others about these topics.
- Ability to create prototype implementations (including lightweight API integrations) to test documentation accuracy and effectiveness.
- Ability to work well independently and in a collaborative, team environment.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with the Product, Engineering, and Customer Success teams.
- Experience managing their own documentation projects.
- Working knowledge of Zendesk, Swagger, Markdown, and Github or other code repository.
- 3+ years experience as a technical writer, preferably documenting cloud-based software products.
Nice to have
- Know the SaaS business model and have experience documenting SaaS solutions for midmarket and enterprise business customers.
- Understand modern content technology applications, and modern software development processes like continuous delivery.
- Be knowledgeable about translation, localization, and internationalization processes and/or be fluent in other languages.
- Curious. Enjoys learning new technologies and data analysis techniques.
- A Leader. Proactive, compelling, with excellent business and technical judgment.
- Customer Focused. Passionate about client success at all times.
- Process Oriented. Well-organized, demonstrating attention to detail.
- Team player. Ability to work effectively and cross-functionally with all levels of management, both internally and externally.
What matters to Smartling?
To help our clients grow their businesses and to help you grow as an individual, both professionally and personally.
- Competitive salary and employee stock option plan.
- An opportunity to learn and advance your career.
- An energetic, value-driven, and fun culture and team spirit.
- Flexible PTO.
- Company paid medical/dental/vision/life insurance.
- Commuter benefits.
- Amazing office located in the middle of Manhattan- just blocks from Penn Station and Grand Central.
- Team outings (Baseball games, bowling, happy hours, etc.).
Smartling, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. No third party recruiters.