Editorial Assistant at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire an Editorial Assistant. This person will be the right hand to the Senior Director of Editorial Operations and a key support role for all members of theSkimm’s Editorial Team.
theSkimm’s editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from differing media backgrounds, and we understand how to produce high quality journalism in theSkimm’s distinct voice. We're looking for a news junkie who will work closely with all editorial team members to: conduct research, write, fact-check, manage editorial calendars and web production, and assist with editorial operations/processes overall.
This is a perfect fit if you want to learn the ins and outs of online media and want to grow into a role on a fast-paced editorial team. He/She/They will report directly to the Senior Director of Editorial Operations.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Fact-check, write and produce editorial content for theSkimm’s product and platforms.
- Conduct research, including image research for editorial verticals
- Assist the Sr. Director of Editorial Operations in managing editorial operations, including the creation and management of editorial calendars, data analytics and content tagging, attending meetings and other administrative work.
- Be the assistant project manager on large editorial initiatives including tentpoles.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of 1 year of traditional or digital editorial experience
- Excellent writing and editorial judgment
- Experience with research and fact-checking preferred but not required
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Passion for theSkimm and its mission, and the ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- The ability to be a self-starter and a team player
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping millennial women live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.