Editorial Producer, Entertainment
NowThis creates news content for the social, mobile generation by informing, entertaining and inspiring its audience about what’s happening and important in the world right now. Launched in 2012, NowThis is the #1 social news brand in the world with more than 2.6 billion monthly views. NowThis has eleven content verticals, including: News, Politics, Entertainment, Future, Her, Money, Sports, Food and more. In December 2016, NowThis joined forces with Thrillist, The Dodo and Seeker to form Group Nine Media.
NowThis is seeing an Editorial Producer for its pop culture and entertainment channel. The Editorial Producer for Entertainment serves first and foremost as a copywriter and copyeditor for social video at NowThis Entertainment, supporting video creation efforts in a variety of roles. You will primarily write, copyedit, punch up, and fact-check text-on-screen video scripts, write SEO headlines, and contribute social media copy.
Shareable, short-form social videos are the foundation of all NowThis Entertainment content. We're looking for someone who eats, sleeps, and breathes pop culture—everything from finding the latest Instagram influencer trends, to taking a deep dive into the special effects in the latest 'Star Wars' installment. In this role, it will be your responsibility to help us find and tell the pop culture stories everyone will be talking about today.
**This position reports to the Entertainment Director and is based out of New York City.**
- Proofread scripts for NowThis standards in terms of grammar, clarity, accuracy, style guide, and other errors - ensuring “first cards” are attention-grabbing and shareable
- Write short-form socially optimized scripts on Entertainment stories to be shared across all our platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Channel the NowThis Entertainment voice and style, creating smart, digestible scripts that drive social media conversation
- Work closely with the Entertainment Director to maintain, improve, and channel the NowThis Entertainment voice and tone through all scripts and copy
- Write attention-grabbing and accurate SEO headlines and social media copy for videos, ensuring they are unique and optimized for each platform (including Facebook copy, Tweets, and Instagram captions)
- Work breaking news/event coverage as needed, sometimes off-hours (especially during awards season)
- Maintain the editorial calendar and alert Entertainment Director of relevant upcoming celebrity birthdays, film anniversaries, events, etc.
- At least 2+ years professional experience in journalism, digital media, or a newsroom
- At least 1+ year covering entertainment or pop culture at a publication a plus
- Excellent grammar, writing, and copy editing skills
- Must be organized and have a passion for pop culture storytelling
- A curious, critical thinker, always looking for stories
- A sharp understanding of social media and video platforms
- Eager to collaborate with video makers on projects from start to finish
- Contacts in the entertainment industry including TV, film, music, gaming a plus
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.