theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire a finance writer for its editorial team. This team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds. They understand how to write high quality content, while crafting it in theSkimm’s distinct voice. This position would be working closely with the Managing Editor of Content Development and other editorial staff members. This role is not for someone interested in their personal byline.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Own multiple pieces of financial wellness content creation for various platforms through research, writing, fact checking, and publish
- Work with the editorial and social teams to create a cohesive voice across all financial content at theSkimm
- Create a consistent output of financial content written in the format and tone of theSkimm
- Translate financial content using theSkimm’s unique voice and editorial approach
- Help to think through new ways to create and sustain financial wellness content for female millennials
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 2-3+ yrs experience in financial writing for a media organization
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Experience working with tight deadlines
- Solid understanding of financial markets, investing, and personal finance
- Experience in a fast paced environment, with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Ability to self-motivate and be a team player across multiple departments
- Ability to write in the voice of a character
- Passionate about theSkimm and its mission
- Bachelor's Degree
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY