Finance Writer at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking to hire a personal finance writer for its editorial team. This team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds. They understand how to write high quality content, while crafting it in theSkimm’s distinct voice. This position would be working closely with the Senior Finance Editor and other editorial staff members. This role is not for someone interested in a personal byline.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Own multiple pieces of finance content creation for various platforms from research to fact-checking and final publication
- Work with the news, video, audio, and social teams to create a cohesive voice across all financial content at theSkimm
- Create a consistent output of news and evergreen financial content written in the format and tone of theSkimm
- Translate financial language and break down complex topics using theSkimm’s unique voice and editorial approach
- Help to think through new ways to create and sustain financial wellness content for female millennials
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 2-3+ yrs experience in financial writing for a media organization
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Experience working with tight deadlines
- Experience in a fast paced environment, with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Solid understanding of financial markets, investing, and personal finance
- Ability to self-motivate and be a team player across multiple departments
- Ability to write in the voice of a character
- Passionate about theSkimm and its mission
- Bachelor's Degree
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.