Freelance Breaking News Producer
NowThis is looking for a driven digital news journalist for a three-month, full-time contract position with potential for a staff hire. This position will cover breaking news and conduct real-time reporting through text and video across NowThis platforms, primarily Snapchat.
We’re seeking someone who works well under pressure and can explain news events to young people it happens in a relatable, interesting way. Are you able to confirm and debunk reports and easily wade through misinformation to find the truth? That's the type of person we're looking for.
A successful candidate should be self-driven and highly motivated, willing to jump on whatever happens that day. They can easily walk audiences through a story as they report it live. Any work hours not devoted to breaking news will be spent supporting our Snapchat team in creating compelling short-form stories for our daily publisher edition.
Direct newsroom experience, particularly dealing with breaking news and quickly changing information and/or sensitive stories, is a requirement. Basic video editing experience is also a must.
This is a breaking news position, so you must be willing to work occasional off-hours as needed.
This contract position is full-time, 5 days per week, reporting to the Editorial Lead of Emerging Platforms. It is currently a three-month contract, but has the potential to evolve into long-term work.
- Report on major news events for NowThis social channels
- Monitor real-time news and sniff out the most important and fascinating stories that can be translated to social video
- Discover, verify and confirm information, obtain permission for assets
- Work directly with news team during major breaking news events to ensure our coverage is up to date and accurate
- Take complex and/or sensitive information and present it to a millennial audience in an understandable and digestible way through text and video
- Demonstrate fast, solid news judgement
- Additional responsibilities include writing headlines, body copy and occasional article-length stories for our daily Snapchat publisher story
- Channel the NowThis voice and style, creating smart, digestible video stories that drive social media conversation
- Must live in New York
- 2+ years experience writing/editing/producing for a news organization or other digital media/news publisher
- Experience working in deadline-driven reporting or storytelling environment
- Able to work occasional late nights as needed by the news cycle
- Strong news judgement and writing skills, impeccable attention to detail, and an obsession with grammar, clarity, and accuracy
- Ability to multi-task and keep track of fast-moving, fast-changing elements of breaking news
- Experience with video editing. Major plus if you have worked specifically with Adobe Premiere and After Effects
- A deep interest in daily trending news stories and current events - and a willingness to quickly learn about topics you’re not well versed in
- Experience with or interest in content publishing on Snapchat a plus
- Bonus: Proficiency in social news gathering tools such as Banjo, Dataminr, Tweetdeck, and/or Crowdtangle
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.