Freelance Fact Checker at Angi
At Angi, we are revolutionizing the way that every American homeowner improves and maintains their home. We do this by creating digital products and experiences to help hundreds of millions of homeowners connect with talented service professionals to get work done. We are a two-sided marketplace that is reimagining how people care for and improve their homes while also nurturing growth of independent small businesses. As #1 in the home services category, our tremendous scale is the launchpad to boundless inventions in technology and product!
The Content & Editorial team at Angi is looking for an experienced Freelance Fact Checker to join our growing team. We’re building best-in-class digital content to help our users learn how to improve and take care of their homes.
This is a freelance position.
As a fact checker for Angi, you will work with the Content & Editorial team to maintain and update our sourcing guidelines, fact check freelance writers and ensure our content remains up to date and credible for our readers. This is an essential role to our process to build trust with our customers.
You will work closely with Content Editors to review content drafts. You are expected to fact check existing sources against our approved list, find new source material and guide writers in recommended edits. You must have the ability scrutinize the small details (“Is 2015 the most recent data point we have?”) and the big picture (“Does this fact support the broader story theme?”). You will also be responsible for quality assurance across creative such as images, infographics and illustrations to ensure data is aligned with copy.
We are looking for a fact checker who can commit to 20-40 hours per month.
Responsibilities will include:
- Fact checking and submitting articles throughout the month to meet deadlines.
- Performing in-depth research and cross-referencing of all online resources to ensure content is factually correct and original.
- Checking for unreliable, outdated, false or misleading sources and providing writers with proper guidelines.
- Providing clear guidance to writers on sourcing changes and recommendations.
- Aligning feedback with Content Editors to reduce contradictory edits.
- Coordinating with Content Project Manager and Content Editors for assignments and feedback.
- Recording time on projects accurately, submitting itemized invoices in a timely manner and following up on payment, as needed, directly with our Accounts Payable department.
- Demonstrable track record of proofing content for the web and a passion for creating content.
- 2+ years of experience with creating and/or editing content for the web.
- At least one year of fact-checking experience in digital or print media is preferred.
- Experience with Grammarly, Google Docs or other editing tools preferred.
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Monday.com a plus.
- A degree in English, Communications, Creative Writing, Journalism or a related degree preferred, but equivalent experience will be seriously considered.
- Experience writing or editing for home, lifestyle, real estate and/or construction markets preferred.
Benefits and Compensation
- This position is eligible for an hourly pay rate between $20 - $35/hour
- This is a freelance position and does not qualify for employee sponsored benefits