ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for a Head of Audio. You'll be responsible for overseeing all aspects of audio and podcasting, and will manage a team of producers and engineers. This role will report into the Managing Editor of Content Development.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Oversee all aspects of audio at theSkimm -- including production, budgets, staffing, and creative strategy.
- Manage the workflow and production of multiple weekly podcasts.
- Manage a team of audio producers, one audio engineer, and a network of freelancers.
- Develop short-term and long-term audio strategy in partnership with theSkimm’s executive team.
- Work closely with the ad sales team on branded audio content.
- Work closely with the sales and marketing teams if new audio products go to market.
- Manage editorial partnerships with key distributors.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ yrs experience in audio storytelling with 3+ leading and managing an audio department
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Strong understanding of recording, cutting tape, assembling, mixing, and audio publication
- Experience in a fast paced newsroom, with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Ability to communicate on an executive level while managing the details of multiple weekly productions
- Experience in the sales and branded side of audio production
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Experience with live events (especially events that have become remote because of Covid-19)
- A robust personal network of freelance audio producers and engineers
- Significant experience with branded podcasts
- Experience in a startup environment
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.