Hi, we’re Headquarters. Some people might call us “root-obsessed,” and they’re right—because we know that a great head of hair starts with healthy roots. Headquarters is a best-in-class haircare brand that grew out of the needs of real women, a ton of research and a lot of love.
Launched in January 2021, we’re the newest brand developed by Harry’s Inc. and we’re here to prove that there’s a better way for people to engage with their own hair health, one day at a time.
Our growing team includes some of the best minds (and heads of hair) in R&D, consumer insights, customer experience, marketing, and beyond. We know that hair isn’t everything… but it’s still a big deal in our book. It’s a source of comfort with the potential to totally reinvent how we see ourselves.
Headquarters also supports our communities by donating 1% of our sales to local grassroots organizations that benefit women and their mental health. We’re proud to be a part of the work that’s changing our communities for the better. Together, we’re reimagining how we care for our hair to help everyone have more good (hair) days.About the Role
As the Brand Copywriter, you will be a part of the core team responsible for shaping and growing the Headquarters brand in its infancy. The Copywriter will work alongside the Head of Creative & Communications to establish and reinforce the brand’s verbal language. This role will be a central member of our new creative team, working across a variety of written assets and content ranging from paid, digital, and social posts, to brand presentations and physical/digital pop-up experiences, and beyond.
The ideal candidate will come into this role with a passion for storytelling with exceptional skills in copywriting, editing, and communication.What you will accomplish:
- Working within the Creative & Comms Team, and partnering cross-functionally, on projects big and small — establishing trust along the way.
- Collaborating with our designers, social/content manager, and producer on concepts that will shape the Creative & Comms Team's output
- Immersing yourself in the existing brand tone of voice and strategize how we use copy across all channels and audiences; establishing medium specific guidelines as you go
- Ideating and then writing, writing, and writing - concepts, treatments, headlines, captions, scripts, interview questions, talking points, presentations, and more with a cohesive tone of voice across all channels, incl:
- Brand storytelling & campaign development
- Social media content & captions
- Product descriptions & messaging for new launches and existing products
- Website landing pages, PDPs, content improvements, UX copy, and assets
- Performance marketing: DR ads, email campaigns, SMS, etc.
- Print collateral such as shipper materials, direct mail, retail POS, etc.
- Copywriting for offline/experiential brand activations
- Creating concepts and creative solutions for a variety of brand marketing scenarios in collaboration with Design, PR, Social Media, Brand, and Retail teams
- Acting as the gatekeeper of tone of voice — reviewing, proofreading, editing and guiding all brand copy developed internally and externally by partners; as well as developing tools, templates, style guides and process to champion on-brand voice across all touch points.
- Leading copy projects from end-to-end — from early-stage brainstorming and concept development through to go-live execution
- Translating key consumer insights into compelling messages for paid and owned channels in an iterative, thoughtful manner
- Driving the planning, execution, and production of in-house content for social, voiceovers, audio ads, podcasts, and other written/verbal formats
- Briefing and collaborating with internal and external creative agencies/partners to develop campaigns, video assets, SEO copy, packaging, etc.
- Building and maintaining a deep understanding of our products ane ensuring they are well communicated in all creative work.
- You have a strong creative point of view and appreciation for the power of words
- You are a natural born storyteller! You are curious, ask questions and could craft a compelling page turner out of a grain of rice
- Love content! From editorial features to IG stories and a smart tweet, you have a knack for creating engaging content
- Have proven experience writing compelling copy for brands that lives across a variety of owned and paid channels
- Excels at translating complex topics into easy to understand language
- Always looking for opportunities to improve product & brand communication at every touch point to better resonate with our target consumers
Best in class copywriter and editor
- You have experience following, contributing to, and evolving brand guidelines across touchpoints to establish a consistent, ownable voice
- Nothing gets past you! You have a meticulous eye and obsessive attention to detail that catches everything from small grammatical errors to slips in brand voice
- You aren’t afraid to reference the AP Stylebook and have a nerdy level of knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- You understand that real estate is precious and each character counts.
- You appreciate that there’s a time and a place for a well worded pun
- Take pride in proofing final deliverables to ensure that final content appears as intended
Strategic creative thinker
- You think outside the box, developing big creative ideas, that are grounded in the business needs and consumer insights
- As the copy lead, your ideas should help guide not just the final copy but strategy, concept, and even visual execution
- Have experience and value engaging with channel owners to learn how to maximize the performance of your work and demonstrating those learnings where and when it’s applicable
- Thoughtfully and effectively approach creative projects to ensure you are maximizing your time, assets/resources, and creative budget
- You are passionate for developing with a female-first perspective
- Have an interest in women’s wellness and the beauty landscape
- You immerse yourself in customer insights and actively develop a strong understanding of who she is
- You approach projects with a “is this the best we can do for our customer” mindset
- You write with the customer’s preferences, interest, and aesthetic top of mind
- You maintain a finger on the pulse culturally to inform your work. You’re always looking at the latest creative trends to draw inspiration from not just other haircare brands, but skincare, wellness, fashion, CPG, and more.
Self-motivated & collaborative partner
- You are resourceful, take initiative, and comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment
- You are able to work under tight deadlines while juggling several projects and adapt to change
- There’s no job too big or small—you approach all projects with equal enthusiasm and passion.
- You are a creative leader who proactively pushes important projects along
- Assess projects and provide recommendations on the scope and type of copywriting support needed
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and are able to work with creative and non-creative partners and stakeholders
- Comfortable receiving and providing feedback! When presenting work to internal and external stakeholders, you are able to address questions, concerns, and critique in a clear, confident way and be able to pivot quickly based on feedback
- Reporting to Head of Creative & Communications
- Work within the Creative & Comms Team with very close day-to-day partnership with the Headquarters Designers
- Collaborate with Digital Product & Performance Marketing Teams; as well as Harry’s Inc Design & Retail teams
- 20% Digital — campaign / DR ads / email / motion & video, etc.
- 20% Social — assets and content for Instagram / TikTok / YouTube, etc.
- 15% Concepting — ideating for campaigns / launches / specialty needs, etc.
- 15% Audio Content — briefing / scriptwriting / directing VOs / podcast reads, etc.
- 15% Print — print collateral / direct mail / specialty packaging / offline, etc.
- 15% Retail — in-store marketing materials / presentations / line sheets, etc.
- 4+ years industry experience in a consumer copywriting/editorial
- Current portfolio of self-created work showcasing strong technical copywriting skills with an emphasis on brand campaigns and content development
- Beauty/fashion or CPG experience preferred; DTC eCommerce experience is a plus
- Some experience with scriptwriting/podcasting/audio is a plus
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.