Junior Interior Designer
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
Common is hiring a Junior Interior Designer to design, procure, and manage the installation of furniture, fixtures and equipment inside our homes. This is a creative role and the right candidate will have a positive impact on the company’s design aesthetic, direction and member experience. From working with our furniture sales reps, warehouse and logistics managers and manual labor on site during home move in, this role is responsible for all aspects of preparing our new homes for our members. You will coordinate your FF&E designs with team members who are responsible for finishes selections, and with developer partners who are ultimately responsible for the design and construction of the home.
Furnishing a co-living home has many unique challenges and opportunities that go beyond creating beautiful spaces. We are thoughtful about removing the pain points of shared living to eliminate potential conflict between housemates. Common’s goal is to provide convenience and community in all of our homes. From the bed to the silverware, the rugs to the wall art, we think through every item we provide and the value it brings to our members. It is the Junior Interior Designer’s responsibility to ensure that, on opening day, our homes are move-in ready and deliver on our promises.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting start up at an early stage. Your work will have a meaningful and significant impact on the member experience and you will be an important part of the Space team. You will report directly to the Associate Director of Interior Design and Visual Content and work closely with peers in this role. Being an early stage startup there is great opportunity for growth, and to contribute to the formation of new processes and systems. The role is creative, both in interior decoration, and also in problem solving.
This role requires a candidate who can combine an eye for style and quality with an attention to detail and affinity for organization. The role will require the successful candidate to:
- Prepare design boards for the furnishing of our homes in line with our brand aesthetics, the home’s finishes scheme and member requirements
- Be a valuable contributor to our brand aesthetic
- Draft furniture layout plans in conjunction with design boards and procurement schedules
- Create and maintain the procurement schedule, track orders and expenses and report against the overall budget
- Coordinate with the Procurement Team as they place purchase orders and assist with supplier communication and lead time management
- Source and maintain vendor relationships for furniture, lighting, artwork and signage
- Assist the Procurement Team as they verify the inventory against the procurement schedule.
- Manage the home set up and load in process, taking full responsibility for the load in and successful opening of the home. This includes scheduling the deliveries, managing the movers, installers and site labor.
- Style interiors of new homes to visual brand standard for photoshoot; partner with photographer on site to ensure home’s best features are highlighted and captured
- Our homes are located in various cities across the USA and the load in process requires travel to these locations for periods of 3-6 weeks at a time
- Other responsibilities and duties may be required from time to time and based on business needs
- You have 1 to 3 years experience in an interior design or related field
- You have a passion and an eye for well-designed residential spaces, furniture, and interior photography
- You are able to use drafting software to create furniture layouts and space plans
- You are able to demonstrate experience and skills in Project Management
- You are able to make independent decisions and prioritize to achieve project deadline
- You think critically and creatively about process and take initiative to suggest and implement changes
- You will be comfortable both in the office and in the field (at the homes during move in)
- You have skills in excel and a proven record of care and attention to detail
- You are a strong and proactive communicator
- You have a sincere passion and care for the end member experience
- You are keen to work in a fast-paced startup environment
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.