Managing Editor, Branded Content
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is hiring a Managing Editor of Branded Content to lead theSkimm’s native content initiatives across all platforms (including, but not limited to, newsletter, video, web, and audio). Reporting to the Head of Content and managing a small team of writers, you’ll align with the sales leadership on pre-sale creative ideation for clients, developing new formats and solutions, and manage post sale execution of multi-platform campaigns in theSkimm’s unique voice. You’ll be a key stakeholder in protecting and maintaining theSkimm voice in all branded partnerships.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Partner with Head of Brand Strategy to create 360 programs for focused list of strategic advertiser accounts
- Present to clients as needed
- Develop understanding of theSkimm assets, platforms, and products to communicate and creatively ideate native content for both upstarts and Fortune 500 companies.
- Write and edit multi-platform pre and post sale native content copy with small team of content creators and writers. (Platform agnostic writing ability- inclusive of, but not limited to, native articles, video treatments, copy for marketing initiatives, products, etc)
- Lead editorial in RFP pre-sale process, writing treatments while protecting theSkimm’s editorial voice, accountable to sales cycle
- Lead editorial development of multi-platform branded strategy, using data and insights from industry to create fresh, innovative content ideas across any format
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 7-8 years of experience working as a branded content writer or editor, preferably at a media company.
- Nuanced understanding of how to translate long-term business objectives of advertisers in to solutions that could be provided by theSkimm
- Track record of working effectively under deadline/pressure in collaborative sales processes, including the relationships and vocabulary required in an advertising sales environment
- Experience managing a team and coaching content creators
- Expert understanding of latest digital media trends and best practices across social, video, and web publishing
- Ability to write in the voice of a character
- Passionate about theSkimm and its mission and ability to evangelize creative to both internal stakeholders and external clients
- A self-starter and a team player, ready to roll up sleeves as a player/coach
- Bachelor's Degree
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Being a news junkie
- Experience in media development and strategy
- Comfortable publishing in CMS
- Freelance contacts for branded content writing and video production
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY