Media Relations Associate
Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve raised over $52 million of venture capital, established ourselves as a pioneer in Fintech and helped more than 4.5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're rapidly growing and looking for people with grit, great attitudes and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we were voted one of INC's best workplaces of 2018!
About the role...
The Policygenius Editorial Team is dedicated to making complex personal finance topics easy to understand — and fun to read about! The Media Relations Associate will focus on getting our great content out to a larger audience to increase brand awareness and build readership. You’ll be pitching articles, resources and company news to reporters as well as coming up with innovative ways to get our content in front of more eyes. This role will work closely with our Editorial Team and report into the Senior Media Relations Manager.
- Research and create targeted media lists and update them on a regular basis
- Craft pitches, news releases, reporter briefing sheets and other media collateral
- Have the opportunity to pitch and write articles for partner publications
- Build and maintain strong relationships with members of the media
- Help identify and apply for awards and speaking opportunities
- Research and identify potential editorial partnerships
- Manage deadlines and a dynamic schedule, while adjusting priorities on the fly
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, PR or similar field and 1+ years experience in one of these areas
- Sound editorial judgment and writing skills (Knowledge of AP style is a definite plus)
- An understanding of media and how to pitch to reporters
- A keen instinct for recognizing newsworthy stories and pitching angles that aren’t immediately obvious
- Knowledge of personal finance fundamentals (or a desire to learn them!)
- Extreme attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excited about joining a fast-growing startup
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)