Want to do great journalism at one of the most-respected personal finance websites on the planet?
Bankrate.com is looking for a sharp, innovative reporter to cover mortgage and real estate topics for one of the most authoritative publications in the mortgage industry, and we need your help to contribute to our growing news team.
Ideal candidates will have experience writing for consumers and developing relevant sources. The reporter will develop and write engaging articles, quizzes, and interactive features. The reporter will respond quickly to news events, explaining to consumers how it affects them. Experience writing for search engine optimization is a must.
The reporter must clearly understand and closely follow mortgage and real estate topics. The ideal candidate thinks beyond the news, detecting trends and predicting unintended consequences and benefits.
We are seeking a reporter who is an expert on mortgages, and has a passion for great, innovative storytelling. The position can be based in the San Francisco area, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, or Washington, D.C.
- Report and publish daily news stories.
- Represent Bankrate as a spokesperson as needed.
- Be deeply engaged on data for our editorial coverage and data as it relates to story performance on Bankrate to make informed decisions about coverage.
- Consistently improve the quality of Bankrate's editorial coverage.
- Understand metrics of our storytelling and allow them to inform our decisions.
- Actively follow and report on mortgage topics and trends.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry sources.
- Come up with ideas and create mortgage and real estate content in story form, blogs, quizzes and interactives.
- Be engaged in social media, staying current with trends in social media.
- Understand SEO value and employ best practices for SEO.
- Attend industry conferences to speak about mortgage topics.
- Create content for one-off features and special requests.
- Knowledgeable of the mortgage industry.
- Thorough understanding of mortgages and real estate.
- Minimum 2 years' experience as a reporter/writer.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.