News Producer / Host, Audio at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
TheSkimm is looking for a host/producer for our weekly news show, ‘Skimm This.’ The ideal candidate is a news junkie and experienced audio producer who can write, produce, edit, and voice podcasts on a tight deadline. You’ll work with our audio team pitching stories, fact-checking, sourcing and cutting audio, writing concise and ready-to-read news copy, interviewing guests, and recording the show.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Take an active role in pitching stories and forming a rundown for each week’s episode
- Respond to breaking news throughout the week and write/edit scripts on fast deadlines
- Book, research, script, and edit interviews with guests
- Be the lead news writer for each week’s episode, writing in theSkimm’s distinct brand voice
- Cut and mix audio and source audio elements for specific segments
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ yrs experience as a producer in a fast-paced newsroom setting
- 2+ yrs experience in audio storytelling, specifically in a news setting
- Experience making quick news judgements and working under tight deadlines
- Experience interviewing newsmakers and high-profile guests
- Experience fact-checking audio scripts both before and after recordings
- Experience voicing a podcast or hosting a news product would set this candidate apart
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Proficiency in cutting and mixing tape for audio publications
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.