Please note that our virtual National Operations Center is a 24/7 operation with three shifts. Candidates applying for this role must be available to work the 6am-3pm EST morning shift.
Citizen is a free app that keeps you and your loved ones safe. It is a powerful force for good that has already evacuated people from burning buildings, diverted school buses from nearby terrorist attacks and reunited missing children with their parents.
Using our unique technology, 911 alerts are made available to the public and are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content to provide you with the information you need to protect yourself and your loved ones. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
This year Citizen will expand further across the United States with the express mission of making your world a safer place. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help take the Citizen app to the next level as we scale up nationwide. With a group of passionate builders from Facebook, Square, Uber, Google and HQ Trivia, Citizen is the company your current company doesn’t want you to know about.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, and Goodwater Capital and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
About the Team
- Educate and empower users to keep them safe through real-time reporting on crime and public safety emergencies
- Monitor, interpret, and moderate multiple streams of data including police scanners
- Exercise superb editorial judgment on sensitive subject matter
- Research local news in Citizen’s coverage areas
- Collaborate with colleagues to investigate breaking national or international stories
- Craft social media posts on developing incident
- Bachelor’s degree
- Fluent in English; excellent writer with flawless grammar
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
- 60+ WPM typing speed (visit: https://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/ to confirm)
- Resilient, resourceful, and adaptable
- Conscientious, demonstrating a high attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and effectively prioritize
- Ex-journalists, reporters, editors, writers, producers, first responders, public safety officials, criminology buffs; experience in another creative field, startup, or fast-paced environment a plus
- Bonus: experience using Citizen and listening to police radio