Remote Safety Alert Writer (Morning) at Citizen
Please note that our virtual National Operations Center is a 24/7 operation with three shifts. Candidates applying for this role must be available to work the 6am-3pm EST morning shift.
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
About the Team
- Educate and empower users to keep them safe through real-time reporting on crime and public safety emergencies
- Monitor, interpret, and moderate multiple streams of data including police scanners
- Exercise superb editorial judgment on sensitive subject matter
- Research local news in Citizen’s coverage areas
- Collaborate with colleagues to investigate breaking national or international stories
- Bachelor’s degree
- Fluent in English; excellent writer with flawless grammar
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
- 60+ WPM typing speed (visit: https://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/ to confirm)
- Resilient, resourceful, and adaptable
- Conscientious, demonstrating a high attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and effectively prioritize
- Ex-journalists, reporters, editors, writers, producers, first responders, public safety officials, criminology buffs; experience in another creative field, startup, or fast-paced environment a plus
- Bonus: experience using Citizen and listening to police radio