Senior Audio Engineer at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for an experienced audio engineer who can develop a rich and textured sound design that will correspond with the tone, mission and voice of theSkimm. This engineer will work across three weekly podcasts -- recording, editing, and mixing.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Work with talent and guests to record weekly podcasts.
- Mix complex multi-track segments with clips, narration, and music.
- Train incoming producers on basic editing and show sound design.
- Provide audio editorial input in daily production (suggest music or cuts that add a storytelling element).
- Support audio acquisition, cut tape, record and edit two-way interviews, mix audio as needed.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ yrs audio engineering/sound design experience, preferably in a news setting
- Advanced proficiency in cutting and mixing tape for podcast distribution
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Experienced working with talent, both experienced hosts and guests who are new to audio
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.