Senior Audio Producer
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm makes it easier to live a smarter life. We started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er... employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it's time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we're drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm'r at a time. Come join us, we're changing things.
TheSkimm is looking for a news junkie and experienced Senior Producer to plan, write, produce and edit podcasts at theSkimm. You’ll work with a smart team, pitching stories, fact-checking, sourcing and cutting audio, writing concise and ready-to-read news copy, booking guests and prepping interviews. If you are a multi-talented self-starter with a sense of humor, who loves understanding the nitty-gritty of the news and explaining it over drinks to your friends, this job is for you.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Collaborate with the team while pitching stories, booking guests, researching, fact-checking, and script writing in theSkimm’s brand voice -- while also cutting tape and mixing audio
- Attend pitch meetings, offer editorial feedback, contribute to story generation and development
- Interview sources, coaching those without audio experience
- Source audio elements, mix audio for segments
- Contribute to writing and structure of specific segments
- Able to work in the field independently
- Use Audacity to cut and assemble the show
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 3+ yrs experience in audio storytelling, preferably in a news- or news-adjacent setting
- Experience fact-checking audio scripts both before and after recordings
- Experience learning and writing in a specific brand voice
- Calm under pressure, able to switch gears and react to breaking news
- Highly organized, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Experience communicating with and booking talent
- Proficiency in cutting and mixing tape for audio publications
- Experience field recording and on-air a plus
- Collaborative and creative spirit a must
WHAT WE ALSO OFFER YOU
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances.
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- $400 annual gym reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch on Fridays during our HQ Sip’n Skimm - a time to catch up as a group and wind down from a great week
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter.