Senior Copywriter at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About You: You understand how to adapt the written word in our unique brand voices to communicate the right information at the right time to our end users. Someone who understands that their job is as much keeping words off the interface as anything else. You know the differences between marketing and UX communication and when to use both to communicate in the best way to the user.
At Grubhub, we create connections between hardworking and busy diners and the restaurants that want to reach them. Join a passionate and skilled team of experienced designers who are driven by a mission to bring easy, delightful food ordering and delivery experiences to millions of people every day. As a member of the Product Design team, you’ll use every tool in your copy writing toolbox - problem solving, content planning, user interface writing, and collaboration with marketing - to shape the future of food ordering experiences. You’ll collaborate with our content strategy team to build creative, unique content strategies that map to high-level business goals, serve the needs of our users, and map to all stages of the customer journey.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Understand and empathize with how the words we use can make our users feel
- Partner with Design, Product, and Engineering to co-create content for new and evolving experience
- Join our UX researchers to observe and conduct user testing and research to inform our experiences
- Write clearly, concisely, and fearlessly for all of our products’ elements including emails, microcopy, push notifications, text messages, help text, and probably some things we haven’t thought of yet
- Actively seek and openly receive feedback for your work; Give and solicit feedback and constantly strive for excellence.
- Provide feedback in all stages of a product’s development lifecycle—from brainstorming to retrospectives
- Collaborate with Content Strategist in design systems to contribute to voice, tone, and evolving writing style guidelines
- Be able to clearly present, explain, and justify your copy decisions to anyone who might ask about them; Think about the copy you write holistically. In other words, understand how the words you use impact the user now, but also in other parts of the user journey
- Understand prototyping methodologies and practices, user research methodologies, and A/B test planning/execution
- Collaborate with our Marketing team on a holistic voice for our brands
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and the members of the design and research teams on the delivery of new features
- Promote the practice of content strategy within the company
- Collaborate with our Marketing team on a holistic voice for our brands
**Please include a link to samples of your work that show an experience across different content types. You may show us content you’ve created for user interfaces, microcopy, user education, direct or transactional emails, style guides or product launch content.**
You Should Have
- At least 5 years of creating and managing content for web and mobile interfaces
- The skill of internalizing our brand voice, then evolving it in a way that makes sense for the part of the product you are working on
- The ability to synthesize what’s important quickly and work across multiple teams to deliver high-quality writing and content experiences
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills—you’ll be working with a cross-functional team of software engineers, data scientists, and product designers. Bring folks on your journey and support your decisions with focus and brevity
- Experience moving fluidly between high-level content strategy practices and hands-on writing tasks
- Strong analytical skills, creative and strategic thinking skills, and a good sense of humor
- Strong writing, editing, creative and strategic thinking skills
- Experience working in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Google Docs, Sheets, Drive, Gmail, Trello, Mac, Jira
- An understanding of and passion for design thinking and user-centered design practices
- An acute self-awareness and deep empathy for both the customer and your team’s goals
- Excellent communication skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and support your decisions with focus and brevity
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about “how it looks,” or “what we should say about this,” but “why are we adding content at all?”
- Food writing experience a plus
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.