Senior Technical Writer at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about helping developers build and deploy real-world applications.
We are looking for a passionate, results-oriented, and motivated self-starter to join the Product Documentation team to collaborate on our product documentation efforts for Compute, Storage, Network, and Developer Tools products, and services. Reporting to the Technical Writing Manager, the Technical Writer will work across the organization to produce product documentation and set standards across the team.
The reward? You will get to work with a team of high-energy and dedicated product managers, designers and engineers to impact the lives of developers by simplifying innovation for them. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a technical background who is interested in teaching and communicating how our products work in a simple and clear way. You should be highly collaborative, enthusiastic about helping others, and able to communicate clearly in a variety of contexts (one-on-one, small groups, email, tutorials, etc). In joining our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary, great benefits, a creative and comfortable work environment, and the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced and growing technology company.What you’ll be doing:
- Verifying and explaining the technical functionality of in-progress and release-ready cloud-based products.
- Collaborating with product design, engineering, product management, and product marketing to create user-focused documentation for novice and experienced software developers.
- Reviewing other team members' writing.
- Maintaining existing documentation as changes are introduced to existing products.
- Editing content written by product managers, support advocates, and engineers.
- Publishing content written in markdown and Hugo, reviewed on GitHub, to our content portal at docs.digitalocean.com
- Continually improving the writing team's content, style, and processes.
- 7+ years of experience producing technical content
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills.
- Strong research skills and the ability to pick up new technical concepts quickly.
- The ability to give and receive feedback to arrive at the best possible experience for users.
- A portfolio of published writing for a technical audience on cloud computing or related concepts (can be professional or personal work).
- Experience with software version control and ability to use a Git-based workflow for writing collaboration.
- Experience with:
- Experience working remotely or collaborating from an office with remote teams
- Excellent organizational skills and time management
- Professional experience with requirements gathering and manual or automated acceptance testing
- Experience, in any role, as part of agile and traditional product and engineering teams
- Experience with static site generators (especially Hugo), Atlassian tools, Slack.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This is a remote role
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Product #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Product team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!