BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed is looking for a shopping- and products-writer who would focus primarily on writing about sex toys for a full-time position. BuzzFeed's shopping section is an expanding editorial endeavor that writes service-oriented, entertaining content for a shopping-minded audience.
On the BuzzFeed Shopping team, we write about sex toys in an engaging, inclusive, sex-positive and non-judgemental way, and are all about helping our readers discover products that they love, want to buy, and can buy online. Sex is as diverse as the people having it: we strive to make especially our sex toy writing inclusive of all genders, sexualities, and bodies, and our posts intentionally feature products designed for sex beyond the penis-in-vagina variety. While we often include the basic wands and suction toys, there are all kinds of different sex toy options out there we also feature, from strap-on harnesses to sensory feather toys to dildos with handles, and much more. Our posts aim to help readers understand what each product is, all the different ways they could use it, and why it’s great, so they can decide if it’s something they need in their life!
The ideal candidate already has proven experience writing about sex and/or sex toys in an engaging, sex-positive way, and is enthusastic about our inclusive approach. They will help our readers discover a wide array of great sex toys through fun and informative formats, from thoughtful, in-depth, first-person reviews to voice-driven, entertaining themed roundups. They must be comfortable talking about sex and sex toys in a professional context, and excited to create SFW-ish (PG-rated) photos and gifs of the toys they’ve tried and genuinely liked. If you’re always trying out new vibrators, anal toys, and kink products (or finding cool toys online and adding them to your wishlist), continually doing your best to be sex-positive, and frequently reminding anyone you talk to about sex that there are all kinds of ways for people to have sex and experience pleasure, then we want to hear from you!
BuzzFeed is working remotely through at least September 2021, but this role will be tied to our NYC HQ or LA. Being based in in these locations are ideal for the eventual return to our office (which, we promise, is really awesome), but we will consider all candidates who are legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
- Research sex toys in various categories and price points that are of interest to the BuzzFeed audience. This will include both affiliate partners and small businesses.
- Write shareable, unique sex toy and potentially general product roundups (that would include sex toys), reviews, and SEO-friendly shopping guides that are gender- and sexuality-inclusive. Some posts may combine products with tips and advice, and some posts may be assigned.
- Track and analyze your posts' site traffic and affiliate analytics.
- Previous experience/internship at a magazine or website (anything non-judgemental and sex-positive around sex or sex toys being a plus) OR previous experience writing about sex or sex toys on a personal blog or other platform (like a social media feed)
- Genuine love for sex and sex toys, the internet, and online shopping
- The ability to describe products in both an entertaining and descriptive way
- Strong attention to detail
- Flawless spelling, grammar, and usage in your writing
- A positive, curious, playful disposition with a sense of humor
- Firm understanding of the BuzzFeed audience and voice
- Previous affiliate experience a plus
FYI – just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.