Specialist, Music & Media Clearances at Major League Baseball
POSITION SUMMARY: The Specialist, Music & Media Clearances will fulfill responsibilities to help ensure that assigned media content and products, whether licensed, library, stock or original are cleared for air.
- Assist in monitoring the underlying rights and clearance process from inception through completion for all MLBN & NHLN programming and various third-party programming. Responsibilities include music supervision, music, footage & image licensing as well as standards & practices for commercial advertising airing on MLB Network and NHL Network.
- Develop and propose alternative solutions when rights cannot be secured.
- Assist in compiling and delivering music cue sheets for all MLBN & NHLN programming.
- Research emerging artists/ songs for placement within MLBN & NHLN programming.
- Maintain rights and clearances databases and ensure media content and products are noted with proper copyright information and contract terms.
- Maintain and develop communication and personal relationships with record labels, music publishers, managers, etc. to keep abreast of new music licensing opportunities.
- Copyright administration for current and backlog of accruals.
- Analyze music usage to assist in planning and creating new content deals.
- Oversee image requests, track studio show budget and provide image quarterly reports.
- Help to create gratis licensing deals with indie artists for bumper/tease/rollout use on MLBN & NHLN.
- Oversee and assign work to interns.
- Help to create new systems for tracking 3rd party content expiration dates.
- Other such duties as required.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE: The ideal candidate must possess the following skills and experience:
- 1- 3 years’ work experience at a Television, Film, Licensing or Media Company.
- Experience and understanding of music licensing is required.
- Experience and understanding of third-party rights/clearances is required.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously under strict deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Be extremely well organized, self-motivated and demonstrate initiative and an ability to complete assignments in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with individuals and groups both internally and externally.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess strong research and negotiating skills as well as problem solving skills.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel
- Demonstrate the tact, diplomacy, decisiveness, and superior people skills required in the pressurized environment of live television.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
- Possess the manual dexterity to effectively operate keyboard/mouse on computers, edit equipment, etc.
- Possess the visual acuity needed to effectively deliver required work product.
- Possess the auditory acuity needed to effectively deliver required work product.
- Ability to sit, stand, and walk for sufficient lengths of time in order to effectively deliver required work product.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required.