Staff Writer, Food
Thrillist means fun. We're eaters, drinkers, travelers, and doers. We serve the curious and believe that new experiences are what drive the richest lives. We bring our passion, expertise, and taste to bear on the things that are truly worth your time and money. Life is for living, and that’s why we’re here. Today will be great.
Thrillist is hiring a Food Staff Writer. This individual is a passionate food obsessive with a love for humble convenience store snacks, budget-stretching dinner splurges, and all the delicious opportunities in between. You'll need to bring a working knowledge of the food world, including specific areas of expertise, along with a constant enthusiasm to deepen and expand those areas while exploring ways to make our coverage better and more authoritative. You have a passion for service journalism, tackling stories that not only illuminate and entertain, but also inform and improve the lives of Thrillist readers. With extensive food knowledge, an inquisitive desire to keep learning about it, and a relatable sense of humor, you'll help us push Thrillist's food coverage into new and delicious places.
- Report and write stories in many styles and formats -- news commentaries, enterprise features, explainers, product reviews, first-person essays -- without resorting to cliches or lapsing into disposable hype.
- Through ongoing research, reporting, and brainstorming, be a go-to source for story and coverage ideas, in addition to taking on assignments from editors. Basically, be an endless source of ideas who is also willing to tackle endless ideas that came from others.
- Develop a keen understanding of Thrillist Food's audience and how to most effectively reach it, using data insights and analytics to deepen that understanding and inform the selection and execution of story ideas.
- Contribute ideas to company-wide initiatives and collaborate with other teams, including the video department -- be willing to think about big-picture ways to improve our coverage sitewide.
- 2+ years experience as a writer covering food at a digital media publication, or other relevant experience.
- You've demonstrated the ability write about different facets of food in a manner that's fresh, fun, relatable, insightful and requires minimal editing. Your writing should reflect a contagious enthusiasm for the things we eat and drink and the people behind them.
- You understand how food content is consumed and distributed online in 2018, with a working knowledge of trends in social and search and how those trends can inform storytelling.
- You're a communicative, collaborative team member with a positive attitude and a self-starting approach to your work -- in short, you thrive in a team environment but don't need your hand held when it comes to taking care of your work.
- You have a wide network of people within the food industry you can tap into for ideas and information. When someone floats a story idea you find yourself saying "oh I know someone you should definitely talk to for that story" with borderline alarming frequency.
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.