Staff Writer at Orchard
Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 500 employees and growing. We've recently raised $100 million in Series D funding at a valuation over $1 billion and have financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
About The Role
Orchard’s Staff Writer is an experienced writer who has exceptional writing skills and is used to breaking down tough subject matters and making them accessible. They know how to write for “the internet” in that they can turn out copy that is accessible, punchy, easy-to-parse, and engaging; they also know how to incorporate SEO best practices such as the use of keywords naturally within the text.
This person is excited to help us add to our content strategy so more prospective home buyers and existing home owners can find Orchard. Our present content and SEO strategies are nascent and developing, and as a foundational member of the content team, you will help with ideating, publishing, and optimizing best-in-class content that informs home buyers and sellers and also drives business results for the company.
This is a full-time role that will report into the Content Marketing Lead.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Write SEO-focused blog posts on topics related to home buying and selling. Some posts will require roughly 1,000 words, others 2,000 and beyond.
- Write public-facing reports relevant to home buying or selling. These reports are based on our own data, external data, Orchard-conducted surveys, or Orchard-calculated rankings.
- Rewrite older articles to improve the quality and tone of the pieces and improve search rankings.
- Be regarded and referred to as a subject matter expert on real estate, both internally and externally.
- Work closely with the larger content and marketing team on content planning and strategy to make sure we’re executing on key content opportunities.
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- 2+ years of experience writing for the real estate space or related fields such as personal finance.
- Examples of strong and versatile writing. You must be able to take highly complex subjects and break them down into simple and easy-to-understand concepts.
- A desire to work autonomously and ability to juggle multiple projects at once. You can operate with minimal direction and enjoy the learning and creativity that comes with autonomy.
- Proof you’re a fast learner. We don’t expect you to come to the table knowing the details of our industry, but we need someone who can take that knowledge and build on it.
- An understanding of best SEO practices and how implementing them on our blog leads to lead acquisition and conversion.
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.8 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're continuing to work from home until it's safe for all employees to return to the office. Our offices are open for our team members who would like to come in on a voluntary basis and for all team members who work in essential in-office roles. As part of our commitment to health and safety, all employees currently working in our office spaces are required to show proof of vaccination. We anticipate making an official return to the office on a hybrid basis of two days a week in February of 2022 and are excited to see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.