Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
We are looking for a Technical Curriculum Developer to build courses for Cockroach University, a free online learning platform focused on teaching developers and operators what they need to know to use CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. In collaboration with Training peers, Docs writers, Engineers, and Product Managers, you will develop engaging and high-quality online lessons, labs, and assessments in support of the Education team’s mission to enable customer self-sufficiency at scale, from awareness to adoption to ongoing usage. For examples of the team's existing work, you can sign up for free at https://university.cockroachlabs.com and view the content. Location for this role is flexible but you must be US-based.You Will
- Put yourself in the shoes of developers building applications on CockroachDB and operators running CockroachDB in production.
- Define course objectives and detailed lesson plans with peer Curriculum Developers and subject matter experts.
- Script and record engaging & high-quality video lessons.
- Write hands-on labs to challenge and guide student progress.
- Build conceptual assessments to effectively test student knowledge.
- Contribute to defining and evolving the Training team’s processes and conventions.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB and accompanying technologies.
- Foster collaboration with our Docs, Engineering, Product, and Customer Success teams to keep our curriculum up-to-date, effective, and user-centric.
In your first 30 days, you will learn about CockroachDB both in terms of its internals and from the customer’s perspective/experience, using our documentation, training materials, and technical staff. You’ll also give one half-hour presentation on a part of CockroachDB and spin up on the tooling we use to create courseware.
3 months in, you’ll be integrated into the team and partnering with a peer Curriculum Developer to optimize existing content and build out the next developer-facing Cockroach University courses in service of a future CockroachDB Certification program.You Have
- 2-4 years of experience as a curriculum developer, technical instructor, instructional designer, or similar technical position.
- Passion for developing and delivering educational experiences that meet the real-world needs of customers, and for building internal and external relationships to get feedback and identify opportunities.
- Familiarity with, or enthusiasm for learning, the various technologies that make distributed applications function.
- Proficiency in Linux and one or more programming languages (Python, Go, Java, etc.).
- B.S. in Computer Science or similar.
- The ability to engage with various audiences and varying levels of expertise.
Reporting to Jesse Seldess - VP of Education
The CockroachDB mission is to make data easy. Jesse makes sure we build the educational counterpart to that mission: Make learning CockroachDB easy and intuitive. Previously, he spent four years at AppNexus building and leading a team of writers through a broad range of docs scenarios, from technical integrations to business use. In off hours, he’s probably make-believing with his kids, reading literature, or writing his own.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected].