Technical Editor at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about improving existing content to make it more impactful for our community.
The Technical Editing team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by editing and publishing approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of DevOps, open source, and modern application development topics. All members of the team are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching and helping developers, and a passion for creating the most useful learning materials possible.
As a Technical Editor, you will use your technical background and editing skills to test and and improve our existing content library. These articles cover software development, managing Linux infrastructure and servers, and installing and configuring software. You will advocate for our readers by aligning content to our style guide, ensuring the content works as written, and rewriting articles when necessary. The ideal candidate will have experience in technical writing or editing, with some software development experience.
If you feel that you have the background and knowledge for this Technical Editor position, we’d love to talk to you and see where there’s a fit!What You'll Be Doing:
- Publishing and editing tutorials about real world projects in the areas of software development, system administration, and DevOps.
- Applying your editorial skills to improve the technical details, explanations, and quality of writing in each tutorial to ensure the best outcomes for our learners.
- Testing the tutorials you publish to ensure they work for our learners.
- Maintaining the current DigitalOcean library: updating older articles, adding additional information to current articles, and occasionally producing new content as necessary.
- Evaluating content for interest to the open-source community, value in teaching readers how to code at different levels of technical difficulty, practical utility, and alignment with existing content.
- Prioritizing the maintenance of content based on various metrics and business cases.
- Previous experience writing and editing technical content for technical communities on topics such as software development or system administration.
- Experience with at least one of the following back-end languages or frameworks: Go, Python, Node.js, or Django.
- Ability to explain software development concepts and best practices and research new and unfamiliar subjects.
- Comfort with providing and receiving honest and thorough feedback.
- Experience with the Linux command line, server web application setup, deployment, and overall Linux server administration is a plus.
- Familiarity with DigitalOcean’s existing content library and developer interests and culture is a plus.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!