Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about helping writers share their knowledge with our community.
The Community Developer Education team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by contributing approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of DevOps, open source, and modern application development topics. All members of the Developer Education team are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching and helping developers, and a passion for creating the most useful learning materials possible.
As a Technical Editor, you will act as a partner and coach to writers creating technical articles. These articles cover software development, managing Linux infrastructure and servers, and installing and configuring software. Working through our Write for DOnations program (do.co/w4do), you will be building relationships with the various external authors who want to get published on DigitalOcean and editing their work. The ideal candidate will have a hybrid background in software development and writing/editing.
If you feel that you have the background and knowledge for this Technical Editor position, we’d love to talk to you and see where there’s a fit!What You'll Be Doing
- Delivering editorial notes to help authors improve the technical details, explanations, and quality of writing in each tutorial.
- Developing relationships with authors to encourage repeat contributions.
- Publishing tutorials about real world projects in the areas of software development, system administration, and DevOps.
- Providing technical and non-technical feedback to other editors.
- Assisting with maintenance of the current DigitalOcean library: updating older articles, adding additional information to current articles, etc.
- Evaluating writing samples and proposed tutorial topics for interest to the open-source community, value in teaching readers how to code at different levels of technical difficulty, and practical utility.
- Learning about system administration, devops concepts, and software development. An interest in technical growth is a must!
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Previous editorial, content writing, or blogging experience
- Demonstrated ability to research new and unfamiliar subjects
- Comfort with maintaining author relationships
- Formal or informal experience with teaching or mentoring
- Demonstrated experience in learning new technology quickly
- Some Linux experience (should be able to deploy projects and navigate the command line)
- Familiarity with developer interests and culture
- Strong interest in learning about server web application setup, deployment, and overall Linux server administration.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard, but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here, and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!