Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about helping writers share their knowledge with our community.
The Technical Editing team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by editing and publishing approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of DevOps, open source, and modern application development topics. All members of the team are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching and helping developers, and a passion for creating the most useful learning materials possible.
As a Technical Editor, you will act as a partner and coach to writers creating technical articles. These articles cover software development, managing Linux infrastructure and servers, and installing and configuring software. Working through our Write for DOnations program (do.co/w4do) and other initiatives, you will build relationships with external authors who want to get published on DigitalOcean and edit their work. The ideal candidate will have experience in technical writing or editing, a background in education, instruction, or mentoring, and a desire to work in a hands-on technical environment.
If you feel that you have the background and knowledge for this Technical Editor position, we’d love to talk to you and see where there’s a fit!What You'll Be Doing
- Publishing tutorials about real world projects in the areas of software development, system administration, and DevOps from authors all over the world.
- Delivering editorial notes to help authors improve the technical details, explanations, and quality of writing in each tutorial to ensure the best outcomes for our learners.
- Developing relationships with authors to encourage repeat contributions.
- Testing the tutorials you publish, to ensure they work for our learners.
- Assisting with maintenance of the current DigitalOcean library: updating older articles, adding additional information to current articles, and occasionally producing new content as necessary.
- Evaluating writing samples and proposed tutorial topics for interest to the open-source community, value in teaching readers how to code at different levels of technical difficulty, and practical utility.
- Learning about system administration, devops concepts, and software development. An interest in technical growth is a must!
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Previous developmental editing or technical writing experience, preferably on software development or system administration/devops topic areas.
- Demonstrated ability to research new and unfamiliar subjects.
- Comfort with maintaining author relationships.
- Formal or informal experience with teaching or mentoring.
- Demonstrated experience in learning new technology quickly.
- Familiarity with developer interests and culture.
- Strong interest in learning about server web application setup, deployment, overall Linux server administration, and software development.
- Some Linux command line experience is a plus, as is familiarity with DigitalOcean’s products and existing tutorials.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This position may be done in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!