Technical Writer - Distributed US at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!About the Role
We're looking for a Technical Writer to join our team and help us create outstanding documentation that educates and guides our global community of customers and open source users to success, with a particular focus on guiding users on how to recover from disaster (e.g., backup and restore) and how to integrate CockroachDB into their stream data architectures (e.g., change data capture).You Will
- Put yourself in the shoes of the operators who plan, run, maintain, and troubleshoot CockroachDB deployments, and the developers who build applications on top of CockroachDB.
- Write concise and informative how-tos and tutorials, intuitive explanations of complex topics and features, and comprehensive CLI and API reference documentation.
- Develop technical expertise in disaster recovery and streaming data ecosystems
- Contribute to defining and evolving the Documentation team’s processes and conventions.
- Foster collaboration with our Training, Engineering, Product, and Customer Success teams to keep our documentation up-to-date, effective, and user-centric.
In your first 30 days, you have completed onboarding and developed enough expertise to begin your first documentation project. You will have also started to review and edit documentation written by other technical writers on the team. You will use CockroachDB hands-on throughout this experience. We believe that it's important to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team. You will oversee documenting CockroachDB’s bulk input / output and recovery features. You'll help improve our documentation conventions, processes, and tools to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the documentation process. As our user base grows, you will be a part of developing the team to accommodate higher demands for education. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB and that requires excellent documentation from you and the team.You Have
- 2-4 years of experience in technical writing.
- A passion for writing and editing concise and useful documentation for technical audiences, including tactical how-tos, end-to-end tutorials, and detailed CLI and API reference. You are passionate about clarity, concision, and correctness.
- Proficiency in Markdown, HTML, and Linux.
- Familiarity with, or enthusiasm for learning, the various technologies for operating a distributed, cloud-native database and the external systems integrations (e.g., Kafka) used to get data in and out of a database.
- A love for information and are a sponge. You enjoy getting into the weeds technically, but don't let that distract you from achieving your end goals.
- A passion for building relationships with internal and external users to get feedback and identify potential areas of documentation improvement.
Reporting to Lauren Hirata Singh, Manager, Documentation
Lauren is all about clear and concise documentation, and joined Cockroach Labs in 2017 to help make learning CockroachDB easy and intuitive. She is constantly grateful for the passion and dedication that both the company and open-source community has for the CockroachDB docs. Previously, Lauren worked at a few other NYC-based tech companies, and has experience as a writer on a larger Docs team, as well as being the company’s only tech writer. If you see Lauren in the office, you’ll also see her shadow and our doggy coworker, Petee! When she’s not at work, Lauren can be found spending time with her family, baking bread, or watching/playing basketball.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]