ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm makes it easier to live a smarter life. We are redefining how to build products that fit into routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. Our inaugural product – The Daily Skimm – is the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, with an engaged community of well over 6 million active subscribers and an industry-crushing open rate. Our suite of products has grown with the launch of Skimm Studios, the Skimm’s video extension.
theSkimm Studios team is a small collaborative group that understands how to write, producer, and edit high-quality journalism while putting it in theSkimm’s distinct voice. The team thrives in fast-paced environments, knowing that every day is different and brings new and exciting opportunities to help Skimm’rs live smarter lives. This role will work closely with the Editorial, Studios and Social teams to translate content into video. Studios content covers the scope of sit-down interviews, deep dive explainers, and short documentary profiles.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- As theSkimm’s Video Editor you will be working closely with the Studios and Social team to edit all videos from rough cuts through final delivery. Responsibilities include:
- Daily editing of content including: short-form, doc style, explainers, branded content and sizzles, often within quick turnaround timelines
- Media management of digital video files
- Be an active member of the larger Studios team – developing ideas; figuring out how to produce and edit content in new, fun and engaging ways through the scope of a digital lens
- Edit with platform and digital landscape in mind
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Fully proficient editing in a digital post-production environment in the Adobe Suite of products
- 2-4 years experience editing digital style content (short and/or long form), as well as branded and sizzle/recap reels.
- Experience in basic edit prep (assistant editing, syncing, etc.) as well as managing media on a network/server.
- An understanding of digital trends, cinematography and editing principles; with an ability to tell a cohesive story
- Familiar with digital landscape and worked full time at a publisher.
- A track record of working effectively under short deadlines and in high-pressure environments.
- Being a self-starter AND a team player who goes above and beyond to get the job done.
- An acute attention to detail and dedication to accuracy.
- Proficient in basic color correction, audio mixing and mixdowns
- Experience with After Effects and/or other motion-graphics programs.
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- A background in design or graphic design.
- Experience with shooting and general video production
- Passion for theSkimm and its mission, and a strong understanding of our brand.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Biannual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered "Sip’n Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs and lows as a team, usually over food, coffee or La Croix
- Twice-monthly “Skimm’e A Drink!” happy hours - a time to wind down with friends over a beer, wine or fruity beverage
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY