**To apply to this role, you must have previously worked as an Oncology Abstractor for Flatiron**
We're looking for an Abstraction Specialist to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work with the abstraction team to extract complex clinical insights from electronic medical records using our proprietary software system to enter the data into our database. You will also help provide feedback to our team about the software that you are using. Reporting to the Clinical Abstraction Manager, as an Abstraction Specialist, you'll also:
- Triage and respond to abstractor questions
- Meet task and/or review panel targets as determined in consultation with team leaders and management
- Perform patient-level quality assurance on dataset deliverables
- Help with feasibility and initial testing of novel data points or new abstraction approaches
- Assist with testing of new Patient Manger tools or features.
- Obtain and maintain credentials to abstract on a number of modules, as determined by management
- Participate in regular team teleconferences and other meetings as required
- Maintain a high level of performance, as measured by both quality and efficiency scores
- Work a minimum of 32 hours/week and submit timesheets regularly
- Travel to New York City for in-person meetings at least 1-2 times per year
Abstraction Specialists will have further opportunities to work with cross-functional teams including Clinical Data and Abstraction Technology, and will gain access to mentorship and other professional development programs available to Flatiron employees.
Who You Are
You're a current Flatiron Health employee with at least 6 months of experience working as an abstractor. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have a track record of strong abstractor skills with Flatiron Health as demonstrated by consistent abstraction quality and efficiency.
- You are a certified tumor registrar, registered nurse, physician assistant, or equivalent, with significant hands-on experience working in oncology (5+ years).
- You are familiar with all aspects of how cancer is treated, from diagnosis to recovery, and fluent in cancer terminology.
- You have a high comfort level with technology and familiarity with EMR systems.
- You have a demonstrated exceptional attention to detail.
- You have experience with data entry, including strong typing skills, preferred.
- You have an active nurse/PA license or CTR certification, as applicable.
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists, and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work, and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible/Health Savings Account
- Company-funded life insurance
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Brand new computer and accessories
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.