Actuarial Associate, Growth & New Bets at Cityblock Health
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
The Actuarial Associate, Growth & New Bets will be a part of the actuarial team that is focused on supporting new partnerships with payers and internal stakeholders to ultimately expand the Cityblock product set (New Bets). The Associate in this role will be one of the main individuals responsible for helping to develop insights to understand new partner data in both potential and existing markets.
This role will help support and drive new partnerships and strategic business offerings that support Cityblock’s mission. The focus will be on both healthcare analytics and financial modeling and you will be directly responsible for building and maintaining gross margin forecasts, risk assessments, data & claims insights, trend development, and member analytic dashboards for value based opportunities that fall within Growth and New Bets.
Healthcare data is complicated, so you must be excited about digging deep into complex data, and coming up with interesting, actionable insights to communicate to the Growth, New Bets and Actuarial team. In this role, you will use:
- Technical skills to build leading edge models, predict outcomes and assess future impacts
- Business skills to develop strategy in collaboration with partners across the organization
- Personal skills to interact with internal and external partners, as well as senior leadership state
- Management skills to organize multiple projects simultaneously
Your work will help answer financial and strategic business questions regarding new partner engagements. If you like hard problems, have experience pulling insight out of complex structured and unstructured data sources, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
Requirements for the Role:
- 2+ years of actuarial experience, including prior experience with financial forecasting, working with claims data, trend analysis.
- Possession of strong analytical/statistical skills used in evaluating and analyzing data. You have experience working with healthcare data and knowledge of standard healthcare metrics and taxonomies (PMPMs, gross margin, MLR, trends, risk score, etc.)
- You are a strong SQL programmer, with experience navigating non-standard data
- You are very organized and able to manage multiple work efforts. You understand the link between the actuarial details and the business big picture
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, an intellectual curiosity to understand true underlying trends, and the drive towards continuous process improvement
- You enjoy a dynamic environment and are able to make progress on multiple projects at the same time
How We Define Success:
- In 30 days…
- Form relationships with key stakeholders in Growth, New Bets, Actuarial and Analytics Org team members
- Develop familiarity with current data tools and workflows within the new business structure and beyond
- Deliver on first set of high-priority, standard pre-packaged Growth data analysis projects
- In 60 days …
- Grow proficiency with existing actuarial and analytical approaches and algorithms in support of our Growth areas.
- In collaboration with team members, start to develop, refine, and standardize current forecast models, trend studies, data queries and dashboards for the Growth and Prioritized New Business areas
- Contribute to the development of more standardized analyses in support of prioritized New Bets investments.
- Expand on the standardized analytical and financial views of new partner data that can quickly highlight and summarize insights
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Prior experience working in a high growth, start-up environment
- Prior experience with Tableau or similar BI Tools
- Experience working with Medicare and/or Medicaid programs, including value-based arrangements for populations enrolled in these programs
- Prior experience in a Medical Economics role
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics or Data Analytics/Science
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.