Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, taking capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
As an Actuarial Associate at Cityblock, you will support the build of our Actuarial functions as we scale. You will join Cityblock at a critical point, as we expand rapidly across existing & new partnerships and geographies. In this highly cross-functional role, you’ll work closely with stakeholders across the business, including the Finance, Medical Economics, Growth, and Market Operations.
Collaborating closely with the Chief Actuary & Actuarial Manager, you’ll support the buildout of Cityblock’s actuarial and risk management functions. We’re seeking a driven, analytical and collaborative hire to develop actuarial assets to best support the growing business. This is an exciting, high-exposure opportunity to contribute your skills to a socially impactful mission alongside a passionate, rapidly scaling team.
- Develop analytics to support Cityblock's financial performance tracking under our contracting arrangements with health plan partners
- Build tools to support Growth and Operations functions, including quantifying savings opportunities and identifying members to target within our member populations
- Analyze observed claims patterns and reserving needs, coalescing results from traditional actuarial methods with findings from complementary data sources
- Provide input into longer term financial planning, helping to translate emerging experience into go-forward business assumptions
- Develop and execute analytics to help the business understand the costs and benefits of existing reinsurance agreements, and inform go-forward reinsurance strategy
- Work with Data and Analytics areas to automate recurring actuarial analyses and efficiently distribute findings to the relevant parts of the business
- Take on new responsibilities and projects in an ever-expanding role that will evolve alongside our company’s needs
You’d be a good fit if:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree and are studying towards an Actuarial designation
- You have 2+ years of work experience in the actuarial space
- You have a passion for health care and the type of work we are doing at Cityblock
- You have an analytical bend, with experience manipulating and assessing data using some combination of Excel, SQL, R, and Python
- You can tackle multiple projects at once, and are comfortable with a dynamic, rapidly evolving environment
- You're excited by end-to-end ownership of work product. You can self-direct, but know when to ask for support
- You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills; you can articulate your work to a non-technical audiences, and value cross-functional collaboration
Nice to have:
- Prior experience working with Medicare / Medicaid, or with Provider risk arrangements
- Progress towards Actuarial designation
Please include in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.