Associate Data Engineer, BI Engineering Team (Python/SQL) at Vimeo
Vimeo is searching for an experienced Python and SQL software engineer for its Business Intelligence team. This is an opportunity to design and maintain a robust, scalable and sustainable enterprise data platform with other members of the Business Intelligence team. The ideal candidate will enjoy working on a variety of projects at once, with lots of different software services and data sources, all orchestrated with Python code.
Our platform has robust analytics tools that can tell video creators where people are from, where they click, and even track where in a video someone stopped watching—giving you insight into creating engaging content in the future.
While working as a peer to both technical and non-technical staff throughout the company, you will drive the improvement process of both our products and our business operations. You will help define data access and discoverability requirements and work to create infrastructure and services that provide access to event streams.
What you'll do:
- Work closely with other BI engineers, BI analysts, and business stakeholders to understand and plan technical requirements for BI projects
- Provide decision analysis and decision support to business stakeholders using BI and other data
- Learn quickly and deeply about Vimeo’s software platform, desktop and mobile applications
- Contribute software designs, code, tooling, testing, and operational support to a multi-terabyte BI data platform
- Collaborative work: iterative development, design and code review sessions
- Independent work: author and maintain tools for other developers, plus regular hackweeks to develop for the Vimeo platform
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- 1+ years of engineering experience in a fast-paced environment; 1+ years of experience in scalable data architecture, fault-tolerant ETL, and monitoring of data quality in the cloud
- Proficiency in SQL
- Proficiency in Python or an object oriented programming language
- Familiarity with modern source control systems, especially Git
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate with non-technical users on technical subjects
- Track record of problem solving and demonstration of intellectual curiosity
Bonus Points (Nice Skills to Have, but Not Needed):
- Airflow, Celery, or other Python-based task processing systems
- Cloud-based devops: AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Relational database design
- Kafka, Kinesis, PubSub and other durable, scalable messaging systems
- Pandas or R
- Redshift, Vertica, Snowflake, CitusDB, or other distributed columnar-store databases
- Experience with Mixpanel, Keen.io, Snowplow, or similar event tracking systems
- Experience with any distributed map/reduce framework, in Hadoop or otherwise
- Basic Linux/Unix system administration skills
At Vimeo, our mission is to empower video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 90 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform, providing powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible.
We work hard to enable creators of all kinds to succeed, and to that end, we prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and creativity. We’re committed to building a company and a community where people thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work every day.
Vimeo is based in New York City, with additional offices in Europe and India. Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com.